CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Training an athlete with a short achilles tendon

Hi all,

I have a female athlete with a shorter Achilles tendon on one side. This makes her unable to reach below parallel and impedes her balance and coordination. She's been doing Crossfit for 2 years now and has just joined my strength program, which seeks to increase the basic barbell lifts.

How would you suggest I mitigate this restriction for strength movements? My solution right now is box squats set slightly above parallel for squats. It has not been a problem with deads or power cleans so my main concern is getting her below parallel, or as close as possible, in the squat.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Training an athlete with a short achilles tendon

Just thinking outloud here, so not sure if this is best practice, but perhaps it'll get you or someone else thinking?

Ankle ROM in newbies for the squat can be resolved by placing a 5# plate under the heels, this could resolve the issue for her as well.

Question is, just place one under her bad side, or both heels? Not sure?

Also, my cocern is that it doesn't resolve the issue, and may exasibate it.

Also, why the inbalance...injury? Or is this something she should be addressing thru a physio etc?

HTH

S
Old 12-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Brian Diez

Profile:

Weight lifting shoes for sure.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Brian,

That's one method I was going to try. I think the imbalance is natural or because of a surgery. Either eya she won't be recovering from it.

I'll raise the heels if I have to but would like to address it another way. The only way I can think of aside from raising heels is box squat. Any thoughts on that or on my thinking?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

I'm genuinely concerned about the mechanics issues you could create in this situation, creating a long term flexability and strength inbalance, that could be of a disservice to the client.

I'm not speaking from any particular biomechanical experitise here, but personally I tread very carefully when dealing with a cronic injury with a new cleint. I've been known to turn a few clients away with serious bank injuries, I just don't know enough.

Also, if it was me I'd find a hell of a lot more about the nature of the injury. What is her medical diagnosis. Sounds like the clients been vague, and you havn't pressed for info.

Some choices,

Rippetoe's site, Starting Strength, has a forum where you can ask questions and get some highly qualified replies. I'd start there. Be warned though, be very detailed and articulate in your question. i.e. you need to understand from a muscular skeletal point of view whats actually going on with the client. Vague questions get you vague and incorrect answers. Again, I would request her medical history.

Another option, is working closely with a physio, who may have a better idea about what's going on.

The hip thru to the foot is a chain, screwing with one end of it to fix a problem, i.e. one platform show, can create all kinds of issues up the chain.

HTH

Sean
Old 01-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
Brian Diez

Profile:

I would definitely consult with a PT and her doctor.

First, to make out a strategy to improve her ROM.

Second, it's a great way to get some referrals

I'm not so much concerned about strength imbalances. Limited ROM training is better than no training.

Box squats isn't a bad idea, but I'm more of the Oly/gymnastic mindset. Get good at Oly lifts, strenghten primarily through high bar back squats and front squats, practice a ton of gymnastics.

These make her better at 99% of Crossfit WODs and reduce the stress on her Achilles.

And spend 10 minutes at the start and end of every session mobilizing her posterior chain, achilles and feet.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

I always see a full-ROM squat being as far as the athlete can go keeping good positions. Hips below parallel is a standard, not the standard.

So that's my number 1: cut ROM temporarily.

2. If she has to go hips below knees at this exact time, then turn the toes out slightly. It should buy her some room.

3. Hammer hip mobility. Kelly Starrett has everything you could possibly need on MobilityWOD.