CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Lou Peters

Profile:
I am 43 years old and have a torn ACL from college football. I have 21% body fat with 219 lbs of lean muscle mass. I work out and run9 miles a week. I have taught olypmic lifts before and know they benfits for athletics. My questions is will CF help me lose body fat and will my knee problem keep me from doing the work outs ?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Hi Lou,

Welcome.
I can't answer the torn acl issue but will attempt to help on the rest. I'm 44 and have been doing CF for 14 mos now. I wish I knew about this 20 years ago. I'm extremely pleased with the results. I have never been good with being a "clean" eater, allow too much processed food and beer but over the months have gradually cleaned it up, except for the beer. I'm 176 pounds, down about 10 since I started but leaner than I've ever been.
My knees are noisy so I try to be careful with them, proper warmup, neoprene kneee sleeves for max effort stuff and try to stay away from stupid human tricks.
Be careful starting out with the metcons which are the timed efforts with mixed exercises in them, they are potent. Work up gradually to full effort over the course of a month or two.
I am constantly amazed and gratified at the progress I'm making. Good luck and keep asking questions, David.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
Andy Rogers

Profile:
I know ACLs can be managed and repaired if need be, but I'll leave commentary on a tears impacts on CrossFit WODs to the better educated.

In regards to trimming down:
Training will certainly help you burn calories, and CrossFit is fantastic training. However, if you wish to lower your body fat, you'll be wanting to look at diet. It's pretty straightforward math in regards to intake vs output. That being said, there is a lot that can be gained by eating the right stuff (in addition to the right amounts) and turning the body into a fat burning machine instead of a carb burning machine.

I very highly recommend spending a bit of time in the nutrition forum. At only 35 and very active, I'm still a bit of a slacker when it comes to proper diet and nutrion. Some of the folks that lurk the nutrition threads are absolutely fantastic informational resources!

One more additional note. Even though I'm often in the 'eat whatever and play harder to burn it off' camp. I've found that simply by being involved in the CF community I've began to pay closer attention to a great many aspects of my life (diet, nutrition, sleep, over/under training, and more). The dividends from that attention has definitely shown in the mirror.

Best of luck to you, Lou!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
What Andy said in regards to fat and nutrition
Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
David C. Butcher

Profile:
Location: Norfolk but stuck in Key West for a few months!  VA
Lou, I have had ACL reconstruction in both knees because of various activities. I'm 34 and am just coming into crossfit after doing heavy weights and general PT. So far I have had no problems with my knees and I'm dropping my post deployment weight that I gained pretty fast. Crossfit is the WAY to go!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Lou, a lot, of course, depends on the success of the surgery and the rehab you did back in the day. It took me a while to build mine back up, but it's fine now (hurts for other reasons, but that's another issue). Crossfit will do all those things you asked. The best part of it, for a former athlete, is how the workouts keep you interested. When I stopped competing, I had a hard time finding a reason to train. Now I do CF because of the challenge each day, whether I have an upcoming event or not.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
paul f eich

Profile:
The bonus for my knees is that my Navy PT run times are dropping/holding on less than half the miles I used to put in with previous training. Only one ACL reconstruction, but significant degeneration. There's no other training method that I've tried that better for my knees. Just learning to squat correctly is making a huge difference for me in health and body mechanics. Good luck in your training.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
Lou, your post wasn't clear, but I'm venturing a guess that you're asking about an isolated ACL tear that was never repaired. From your post you said that you run and lift regularly but haven't mentioned any problems with your current program. Has your knee been interfering with your workouts so far? This far out from your injury you are probably going to be okay. Like others have said, start off slow and warm up well. You can still play most sports with a torn ACL, it's just harder to be competitive which is why most athletes (especially in sports where you have to "cut" back and forth i.e. football) get them repaired.

In terms of dropping bodyfat, it is the combination of healthy nutrition along with an exercise program that will get you to your goals.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #9
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
There is a great amount of information in the forum from others who have gone through ACL repair while doing CF. Try searching the forums for ACL and you will find a wealth of excellent information!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
Rich Stackon

Profile:
Is the ACL currently torn and not repaired, or did you already have it repaired? Big difference in what you should and should not be doing.
If it is torn and not repaired, the running, jumping and other exercises may aggravate long term overuse injury/osteoarthritis.
I have had my ACL replaced about 4 years ago, and I have no issues with any of the CF workouts so far. In fact, my knee feels better now than it did when I was doing a basic workout involving leg extensions and hamstring curls, etc.
If you haven't had the ACL repaired, I'd seriously look into having it done. Not only will it make you more able to do sports or other exercises, it will prevent injury from requiring a full knee replacement later in life.