CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Tyler Wilbarger

Profile:
finding max clean--use basic clean or power clean?

Just wondering when trying to find max clean should you use step by step basic clean or a power clean? I've heard with power clean you wouldn't be able to get max, but I've seen people on youtube and such get max with a power clean. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: finding max clean--use basic clean or power clean?

If everything is good and normal, your full clean should definitely be heavier than your power clean.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

People that can power clean more than full clean are typically doing a "starfished" (feet splayed) catch for the power, and also probably lack squat strength to stand up the full clean. It usually looks ugly, and it's not really what a weightlifter would call a power clean, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it if your only goal is power production and getting the most weight from the ground to your shoulders.

For an n=1 comparison, I can power clean up to about 225 without splaying feet, I've done 245 "starfished," and my max full clean is also 245.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

What number do you want?

Really two different lifts. Both have a correct technique.

I see new folks learn and get comfortable with PC first so often that is the higher number in the beginning.

Once you learn and get comfortable with full cleans they should beat your PC all the time.

Test both with good form. If your PC beats your clean you have work to do getting under the bar faster to the receiving position.

For both lifts good form is key. I have seen some ugly lifts that would have been legal in a crossfit competition as a rep but should not be counted as a max.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
People that can power clean more than full clean are typically doing a "starfished" (feet splayed) catch for the power, and also probably lack squat strength to stand up the full clean. It usually looks ugly, and it's not really what a weightlifter would call a power clean, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it if your only goal is power production and getting the most weight from the ground to your shoulders.

For an n=1 comparison, I can power clean up to about 225 without splaying feet, I've done 245 "starfished," and my max full clean is also 245.
When you are working out with your weightlifting team do they even do "power" cleans or snatches? As in doing them without squatting obviously
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
When you are working out with your weightlifting team do they even do "power" cleans or snatches? As in doing them without squatting obviously
Well, the "light" days usually have power cleans/snatches. Also I think the coach is going to have me do power clean-to-front squat instead of full cleans for a little bit to work on my pull. So they do have a use in actual weightlifting.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wilbarger View Post
Just wondering when trying to find max clean should you use step by step basic clean or a power clean? I've heard with power clean you wouldn't be able to get max, but I've seen people on youtube and such get max with a power clean. Thanks!
you have gotten good advice above. i would just add the question "for what purpose"? if the goal of finding max clean is for crossfit and the only rules are to get the weight to shoulders, then do whatever one you can do the most weight with. if the purpose is to find a weight to use for some EMOM work or whatever, then do whatever one you plan to use during the workout. if the goal is to get good at oly lifting then do the full clean. if the goal is explosive jumping or hitting power for a sport, then either will work fine.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

We did power cleans for football in high school. Those were done along with back squats and dead lifting. Because of the lack of "squat cleaning" and front squats, it isn't surprising that I could not clean nearly as much if I caught it in a squat as if I did the power variety.

While you should be able to squat clean more than you power clean, it is perfectly common for it to be the other way around.

P.S. I apologize to any of the weightlifters on these boards who cringed when I said "squat clean".
Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

When you clean the bar goes up. In a power clean the bar goes higher and you don't have to get as low to catch it. In a full depth clean the bar doesn't go as high and you have to catch it deeper in your squat. It makes sense then that your 1RM full clean is going to be heavier than your 1RM power clean because you can't move a heavier weight higher than a lighter weight.

This is given that your form is correct with both versions of the clean.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Tyler Wilbarger

Profile:

So I understand both the power clean and the regular clean. If the regular clean is more effective and allows for you to lift heavier. Then what's the real point of a power clean? And I don't have a lifting coach 16 been doing this for 4 years and was just wondering what the best way of going about to find my max....I always did the regular clean and never so much power clean.