CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
Warren C Ellison

Profile:
Re: Krav Maga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wakefoose View Post
I am unfamilliar with PDT. unless you mean PDR? I'm assuming it was a typo.

The Personal Defense Readiness Program is unlike any other 'Reality Based' training system which is sort of a buzz word in martial arts / combatives circles.

It is the only behavioraly based system meaning it incorporates a response to what 'real' bad guy behavior is. To compare most systems are attack specific meaning bad guy does a and you do b contradicts what are brain wants to do in survival situations and puts us way behind the curve in regards to action vs. reaction.

All the drills are modeled around bad guy behavior and so many people will witness that when confronted with violence they report it was just like 'doing the drill'.

COmplex motor skill vs. complex motor skill leaves for zero margin of error you can reference this in the Blauer CF videos.

Watch a style or systems video and watch only the bad guy; is he /she reacting like a real bad guy? What you will tend to see is the bad guy thorugh a MA type attack and then freeze while the good guy aplies his technique, aggression stops as does resistance etc... Plainly it looks fake.

Watch a SPEAR system video and watch the 2 role players. It looks like a street brawl but once you can indentify the principles and tactics used you will see the system applied.

There is so much more that makes it different. My first advice is too watch all the Blauer CF videos in no special order and you will have a better grasp of things. Next you can go to www.tonybluaer.com they have a world wide coaches map and I know of at least two in the VOorhees, NJ area. Carlo and Aka and they are great guys.
Do you have any suggestion to which is the best all around DVD i could buy from Tony's site? Most bang for the buck. I've watch all of them on main site and would love to buy one to give me some drills practice .

Last edited by Warren C Ellison : 06-29-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
michael Galietta

Profile:

Liam...if you haven't decided yet on which art to try, see if there is a Systema teacher in your area and visit a class, this website (WFS) may help...http://www.russianmartialart.com
Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

Iv been into Krav for a number of years and my goal is to become an instructor in a few more years of training,

iv looked a lot into BJJ, MMA, boxing, kick boxing, you name it.

This is the difference between them, 'martial arts' are 90% 1 on 1 fighting, the terrain is known, the opponent is normally known about, the duration and 'rules' are set and known.

in the real world this does not exist.

it is not to say that people who train in those 'martial arts' are not excellent fighters and wouldn't hold their own. its just that their training is focused on the known factors rather then the un known.

if you want to become a great fighter and compete or vers friends i strongly suggest something like MMA, BJJ or something similar,however for a more real world application i would suggest Krav or the SPEAR system (which i have only seen vids of and read about but looks very close)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick View Post
Krav is cool. Just keep in mind the purpose of Krav is to teach a 100 pound woman how to defend herself. If you are already trained in jiujitsu, you may find yourself frustrated at times. A lot of it may seem very basic to you.

Be prepared to train kicking the groin extensively. The other thing I didn't like about krav, is that there are a lot of "punch out" type agression drills, where you punch a pad as hard and as fast as possible for a certain time. A lot of people developed shoulder issues. The idea behind these was that in order to simulate the stress in an actual attack, you would practice the drills under states of extreme exhaustion.

The weapon-based defense training is pretty cool. If you can stick with it for a while and get into an advanced class things will get pretty interesting.

Krav was developed by the Israel Defense Force to teach soldiers how to survive in close quarters, it was designed to be taught quick and by instinct as a soldier only has X amount of time in basic training to learn the basics of all these skills, it just so happens that this also does translate well when it comes to teach the civi population and a 100 pound woman can gain a lot of confidence quickly but again, this was designed for soldiers on the battlefield.

these 'punch out' drills are totally dependant in the instructor not the Krav system, we dont do alot of punching at all, Krav is more about moving as you are often dealing with multiple opponents and with or around objects, plus using legs, elbows, hammer strikes ect so i find your comment invalid

i know this has been a long post but just wanted to straighten out a few facts.

but at the end of the day, each to their own, do what you love and enjoy.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
Tony Huynh

Profile:

National Geographic recently aired a new episode on Krav Maga. You should check it out on the Nat Geo website or Hulu. I train over at the national training center in Los Angeles. KM take advantage of your body's natural movement (i.e. choke defenses). Knife & gun defenses are taught at higher levels.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #15
Matt Payne

Profile:

I would highly suggest trying Krav Maga, but then again I am a instructor so more than a little biased.

Krav does ensure than there is a focus on aggression in drills , stress, trying to replicate as much as possible an actual attack. Our goal is to defend with aggression levels the exceed that of our attackers. You also do get exposed to weapons defenses at all levels even though it is considered more advanced material. I also suggest that you supplement if you can with some BJJ to support your ground work and even MT to support your stand up.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #16
Mark Lanush

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Murphy View Post
Steve (or anyone else), do you have any insight into how Krav compares to PDT? Have you tried them both? Just curious as I am looking for something to supplement my Muay Thai...
Im sure Krav Maga and also Haganah FIGHT system would also be a good add on to your Mauy thai,

Haganah you end up in the Mauy Thai clinch, knees, elbows...

Its kinda funny you ask this I have been doing Haganah for about 9months and looking to supplement that with Mauy thai....

here is the main site: http://www.fight2survive.com/ Im sure you could find something in your area.... just my 2cents
Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

I have done MMA for the last year or so, and have my 3rd degree black belt in shotokan/kenpo. I started Krav Maga a few months back and it is a whole different ball park. IMO, Krav wont necessarily compliment bjj or muay thai. My reasoning is that in Krav you learn how to stop an attacker(s) in the most brutal, violent way. You learn to do stuff that, in mma, you're told not to do i.e. eye gouging, hits to the throat/groin/back o' the head, killing your opponent. The things I can see that could compliment mma stuff is learning knife/gun defense. I know you wont face that in the ring, but on the street you will. And you CAN NOT defend yourself against a knife or gun if you dont have any training. Its not like the movies where you can kick it away and save the day, unless your lucky as hell. Thats my two cents.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
I have done MMA for the last year or so, and have my 3rd degree black belt in shotokan/kenpo. I started Krav Maga a few months back and it is a whole different ball park. IMO, Krav wont necessarily compliment bjj or muay thai. My reasoning is that in Krav you learn how to stop an attacker(s) in the most brutal, violent way. You learn to do stuff that, in mma, you're told not to do i.e. eye gouging, hits to the throat/groin/back o' the head, killing your opponent. The things I can see that could compliment mma stuff is learning knife/gun defense. I know you wont face that in the ring, but on the street you will. And you CAN NOT defend yourself against a knife or gun if you dont have any training. Its not like the movies where you can kick it away and save the day, unless your lucky as hell. Thats my two cents.
Agreed Morgan but MT and BJJ will certainly compliment Krav....we highly encourage our students to train in these. Although different in application MT for example will support improved striking, movement etc...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #19
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Payne View Post
Agreed Morgan but MT and BJJ will certainly compliment Krav....we highly encourage our students to train in these. Although different in application MT for example will support improved striking, movement etc...
I totally agree that any kind of martial arts background will help you in Krav Maga. My best friend would love to do Krav, but knows that learning the habits of Krav wont help him in his mma career.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
I totally agree that any kind of martial arts background will help you in Krav Maga. My best friend would love to do Krav, but knows that learning the habits of Krav wont help him in his mma career.
Yeah, true enough. If MMA is his sport than I agree Krav would not help him much there .