CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Bruno Tourinho

Profile:
Programming CrossFit + Strength + Gymnastics / Mobility

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the best thread to post my doubt, but i'll give it a shot anyway.

My question is about balancing between make my profit from CF classes and let's say "real training".

The most common kind of programming I see here in Brazil, is a 1 hour class (up to 20 people) plans mostly like 20 min warm up / 20 min technique / 20 min wod.

I think it's fine making money with classes (basic CF only programming), but maybe some athletes will want a little more...

Thinking of programming we all know that an 1 hour class isn't enough to follow a strength program, learn/practice some technique (mostly gymnastic and mobility skills) and then do the wod.

1 hour classes per day don't build good athletes, right?

What do you guys encourage your athletes to do?

My best shot would be let the more focused (looking for high performance/competition) athletes to train the strength, gymnastics and mobility apart from the class, maybe spending a little more time at the box. Separated from the regular athletes that go to the box only to do their wod and go home.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English

Bruno
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Milton Brisson

Profile:
Re: Programming CrossFit + Strength + Gymnastics / Mobility

Your english is fine my friend! When you say this:

"My best shot would be let the more focused (looking for high performance/competition) athletes to train the strength, gymnastics and mobility apart from the class, maybe spending a little more time at the box. Separated from the regular athletes that go to the box only to do their wod and go home."

thats pretty much the system I have seen at the different CF gyms I have been to. Not everyone who goes to a box is looking for that sort of specialization, so there will always be a demand for the classes, but the ones who want to compete in in the sport of excercise, need more than just the group work. Seems like you are on the right track!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Bruno Tourinho

Profile:

Thank for you reply Milton,

I've read about some boxes doing Wendler (5/3/1) or Westside Barbell programs conjugate with CrossFit to strength. Do you have some experience with that?

I'm thinking of using some coach Sommer's Gymnastic Bodies foundation once or twice a week to improve their gymnastics skills.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Having your standard CF programming is fine.

Then adding special programming or "free" time allows for further development of people who want more.

Normal programming should have strength days, gymnastic and other stuff in it.

However for those looking to be more than the average "joe" with just a standard WOD base, 5/3/1 or GSLP or another strength program will help gain strength.

Coach sommers would tell you to be careful when adding a lot of gymnastic work because strength work and WOD work can lead to possible overuse and injury.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Bruno Tourinho

Profile:

Thank you Shawn,
Guess the best way is indeed mix it all up, like Glassman says "The art is in the Programming"...
Old 06-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Best way to start is to find out who you will have on these "extra time" programs and get them on an existing competition program.

Try the Outlaw Way, Competitors Training, Invictus etc....

If you want to personalize things, work off that once they are comfortable with amount of work those sites put in.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Pretty much. There is only so much you can do in 1 hour and many clients simply want to spend 1 hour there from in to out.

Fortunately, very few clients IMO tend to want to come in before or stay after over a long run of time. Some or more wouldn't mind spending 90 minutes of time in a class vs 60 but 60 is an easier sell besides maximizing classes offered.

531 can be implemented pretty fast. At least simple 531 using one big lift.

You would simply implement the Gymnastics work as skill work. I just don't know how much of it you are going to be able to implement in 20 minutes. You could just opt of implementing it for 40 minutes and skipping any WOD.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

The problem I have seen over the years are the boxes that just lack good programming.

I have seen a box that never did anything other than basically metcons 5 days a week. Keep em long and painful.

People a year later had lost weight and gained some endurance but saw no real strength or skill development because it was warm up, 20-30 mins of work and go home.

Then they see their friends at other boxes getting a PR every month or so on all their lifts and their times going down and go wth???

Boxes do a disservice if they don't program effectively. Yes people may achieve some decent "results" but they often don't ask their members what results they are looking for.

When I was young and dumb I took a 5 minute challenge to jump rope non stop. I worked up to it and developed good calf endurance and stamina but even when maintaining it for a month or two later it never really helped my overall goals.

We can do stuff that has results, but what kind of results will they be?

As a box do you program for what you want or what the people want. I have witnessed 15+ people leaving one box at the same time to join another because the owner never listened to their desire for progress. Even after they left he didn't evaluate what happened and more left when they learned of the success the others found with different programming.

With boxes opening up in every corner you, one needs to have their programming down.

I would seek out some of the boxes who are known for great programming, look at what they do and see if the owner might share some of their wisdom.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

May be hard to get in Brazil but the programming section of the Coaches Prep Certification is excellent.

I wish I had taken that course 3 years ago. I would have written the programming for my gym much differently.

The short answer is stick to regular CrossFit programming but make sure you and your coaches know how to run gymnastics skill days and heavy weightlifting days in 1 hour classes. Then make sure these are getting programmed.

While "competitor programming" is getting a lot of attention, the gyms that help the most people, have the best community and are most profitable for the owners excel at coaching general physical preparedness (GPP).
Old 06-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Bruno Tourinho

Profile:

That's exactly what i think Shawn. CF model, allow the owners to be creative in programming, and this can be a double edged sword. In the end the difference between this box or that box lies on how they program.

About the results, I also share the same thought. Each person have their own goals, and coaches should do their best to help them achieving it.

I see many coaches being really creative but without any objective, it's just like the same old hopper, which IMO works fine for GPP, but thinking about consistently building conditioning, I rather work with some proven programming.