CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Frank Pipitone

Profile:
Creatine Questions

I never used creatine consistently until recently. Would always start and stop after a couple of weeks and never saw results. Over the last 5 weeks, I have been using it everyday and am shocked that I have actually seen results and gotten stronger. Hit PR's in Squats and Presses this past week so I'm a believer.

I have two questions.

(1) Is it wise to take a break or can you just continue to take creatine everyday indefinitely? I have read about people "cycling" it but that seems like it may not be necessary. Is there any benefit to cycling it?

(2) Is any brand of creatine better than others? I have been using Optimum Nutrition Creatine (creapure). Is there something better or are they basically all the same?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Creatine Questions

Continue to take it. Creapure is good.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pipitone View Post
I never used creatine consistently until recently. Would always start and stop after a couple of weeks and never saw results. Over the last 5 weeks, I have been using it everyday and am shocked that I have actually seen results and gotten stronger. Hit PR's in Squats and Presses this past week so I'm a believer.

I have two questions.

(1) Is it wise to take a break or can you just continue to take creatine everyday indefinitely? I have read about people "cycling" it but that seems like it may not be necessary. Is there any benefit to cycling it?

(2) Is any brand of creatine better than others? I have been using Optimum Nutrition Creatine (creapure). Is there something better or are they basically all the same?

Thanks for the help.
Hi Mate,

I believe that the whole cycling thing has been thrown out the window in recent times. Keep taking 5mg a day at any time and you will continue to see results. RE: The brand I fail to see how there is any major differences between brands - just my two cents,

Regards,

Tate
Old 11-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

No need to cycle and Creapure(R) is an excellent brand.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Aaron Schupp

Profile:

Has anyone tried the Blonyx HMB + Creatine? Just wanting to get some thoughts on it.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Schupp View Post
Has anyone tried the Blonyx HMB + Creatine? Just wanting to get some thoughts on it.
Looks expensive. Could get a kilo of creatine (200 day supply @ 5g/day) and a decent supply of HMB for less than that. Though I don't know the optimal daily amount of HMB, maybe Chris Mason could chime in on that.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Looks expensive. Could get a kilo of creatine (200 day supply @ 5g/day) and a decent supply of HMB for less than that. Though I don't know the optimal daily amount of HMB, maybe Chris Mason could chime in on that.
I'd go with 3-5g per day of HMB. You don't necessarily need to take the HMB on off days (but do take creatine 7 days per week).
Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Chris, is the "issue" with HMB same as with creatine? Once you stop taking it, gains are gone? I guess not, since that the reason why creatine needs to be taken daily, but for HMB you said its not needed?

So HMB only aids in faster strenght gains?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
No need to cycle and Creapure(R) is an excellent brand.
Chris, I was having a discussion with a friend that is an endurance athlete. He was debating starting creatine for recovery purposes. Every study I looked at that supported creatine for recovery showed that the participants were taking way more then 5mg per day. In your opinion will creatine improve recovery at 5mg per day or do you need to increase your intake or will it help at all?

Also do you suggest any type of loading when you start?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
Chris, I was having a discussion with a friend that is an endurance athlete. He was debating starting creatine for recovery purposes. Every study I looked at that supported creatine for recovery showed that the participants were taking way more then 5mg per day. In your opinion will creatine improve recovery at 5mg per day or do you need to increase your intake or will it help at all?

Also do you suggest any type of loading when you start?
I'm not sure if this is just semantics, but the recommended amount is 5g per day, not 5mg.