CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #31
Stanley Walter

Profile:
Re: Creatine Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
How long have you been taking it and have you tried without it, saw big decrease in peformance and had to get back on it?
I assume you were asking me.

A year now? There was a 3 month period where I didn't take it, and I almost instantly noticed a difference in my strength training. I could still lift big, but the day to day consistency was there, and my gains simply weren't happening.

As soon as I started taking creatine again, I got that consistency back.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #32
Chuck Golden

Profile:

My list:

Creatine
BCAAs
Beta Alanine
HMB
Fish oil
Whey Protein
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #33
Justin McCloud

Profile:

I am taking Musclepharm Assault pre-workout and have been taking ALN RESULT post workout. Am I overdoing the creatine?

Assault apparently has 3.5 g of Creatine Monohydrate and 1.5 g of Creatine HCL. RESULTS has 5g of Monohydrate. Is 10g too much?

I know I can google this question and find various answers, but Chris and others in the 'know' - what is your opinion?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #34
Jason Kelley

Profile:

It is more than likely certainly more than you need.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #35
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCloud View Post
I am taking Musclepharm Assault pre-workout and have been taking ALN RESULT post workout. Am I overdoing the creatine?

Assault apparently has 3.5 g of Creatine Monohydrate and 1.5 g of Creatine HCL. RESULTS has 5g of Monohydrate. Is 10g too much?

I know I can google this question and find various answers, but Chris and others in the 'know' - what is your opinion?
Don't worry, your toilet can take all the excess you pee away.

In the end as long as your hydrated don't worry about it
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #36
Greg Geis

Profile:

Has anyone heard of kidney problems associated with creatine? At my last checkup my doc asked me if I was taking any supplements. I told him just whey and creatine and he said when he was in the military he saw creatine overworking a lot of guys kidneys and he recommended dropping it. So he gave me a **** test and when they got my results back he said my kidneys were indeed being overworked. I had noticed a couple days where my shins/ankles were swelling up and retaining water; nothing long term through. I read that was a sign of kidney stress. This was the first time I've heard any negative feedback on my overall health from a Dr.

I had always heard to drink plenty of water with creatine but never about it straining your kidneys. I would have preferred not to drop it but I don't have much interest in messing with my kidney function. Has anyone else heard of similar issues?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #37
Price Goosby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Geis View Post
Has anyone heard of kidney problems associated with creatine? At my last checkup my doc asked me if I was taking any supplements. I told him just whey and creatine and he said when he was in the military he saw creatine overworking a lot of guys kidneys and he recommended dropping it. So he gave me a **** test and when they got my results back he said my kidneys were indeed being overworked. I had noticed a couple days where my shins/ankles were swelling up and retaining water; nothing long term through. I read that was a sign of kidney stress. This was the first time I've heard any negative feedback on my overall health from a Dr.

I had always heard to drink plenty of water with creatine but never about it straining your kidneys. I would have preferred not to drop it but I don't have much interest in messing with my kidney function. Has anyone else heard of similar issues?
If you're drinking enough water to offset it's effects (which really doesn't even need to be that much) then you shouldn't be seeing any issues unless you're going over the recommended dosage and just loading every time. I'm not surprised he saw issues with military persons, they're taking a dehydrating supplement while sweating to death with little to no breaks to rehydrate during the day. If you're going by the label, then maybe take a look at your diet.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Geis View Post

Your doctor is full of ****. He may not intentionally lying, but he NEVER had any scientific proof the proper use of creatine stresses the kidneys.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #39
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCloud View Post

My opinion is you are not overdosing, but you don't need that much. I don't think you are getting any additional benefit from the extra creatine.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #40
Greg Geis

Profile:

Yeah I was just taking 5 mg per day. But I think I wasn't getting enough carbs in the morning. Usually eggs or a protein shake then half a rotisserie chicken and some steamed vegetables or something for lunch. I'm guessing a serving of broccoli and carrots and whatever sugars are in milk probably isn't enough so it was usually dinner before I got a real serving of carbs. I'm usually also probably dehydrated first thing in the morning when I workout then try to recover after that. I'm also not sure if ketosis or dehydration would cause the same test results but that is a question I should ask the Dr.

Unfortunately its not something I can easily experiment with and just take multiple tests to isolate cause/effect. Most of what I've read said as long as you have normal kidney function it shouldn't be a problem. This Dr is also brand new to me, just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.