CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Greg Geis

Profile:
Pre/Post Workout Shake basics

This has been asked a hundred different times a hundred different ways but I couldn't find a response that fit quite what I'm looking for. I want a

I'm 6'0" 170 lbs hard gainer and workout at 5:15am about 20 mins after I get down my morning shake. I'm looking for advice on a pre and post workout shake.

I like to have a little something before I workout and I've found Muscle Milk whey vanilla creme with water does pretty well (has more fat-carbs-calories per gram of protien than their 100% whey I take post). It's easier on my stomach than a banana and almond butter and I don't notice it when I workout (a good thing). http://www.amazon.com/CytoSport-Musc.../dp/B002DUD6R4

Post WO, I usually down a scoop of muscle milk 100% whey in milk. http://www.amazon.com/CytoSport-make.../dp/B003U0E044
I've tried the 100% whey pre-workout but I feel better when I take the vanilla creme with the extra "stuff" (it could be mental). So I'm thinking I should stick with that direction, whatever it is.

I also have a hard time getting enough calories in the morning, so I was thinking of adding some gainer to my pre and post workout shakes (less in pre, probably 1/4 serving) and stick with the water base pre and milk post. I was looking at BSN True Mass 1200, but I don't have a particular reason why them.

Does anyone have any advice on whether that is a good idea or if you have a better suggestion? I'm not brand loyal, I just wanted to show what I was taking, so brand advice is welcome too. I've used creatine in the past, but my doc said it was working my kidneys over so I cut it out. I also added BCAAs/glutamine at night but I can't tell any difference so I dropped it too.

Last edited by Greg Geis; 02-03-2014 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Clarified details
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Greg Geis

Profile:
Re: Pre/Post Workout Shake basics

I should also probably mention that I'm usually around the top 15-20 percentile in the open type Crossfitter. In other words, I work hard but I'm not trying to lay out a diet that is going to get me every possible nutritional advantage to make regionals or anything. I just want to have a solid base that is easy to get me most of what I need so I can just worry about having fun working out.

Last edited by Greg Geis; 02-03-2014 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: wording
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Jason Kelley

Profile:

As you said you are hardgainer I assume you want to gain? Probably don't want to hear it but the best progress I ever made was with real food.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Greg Geis

Profile:

I'm not particularly trying to gain as much as provide decent fuel/recovery for my workouts and let my body respond however it wants. But I usually feel best around 175-180 so I would probably be shooting to put on a bit more. I agree with the real food, but I'm looking for a decent crutch when I can't eat something good to get me by. I don't think real food helps me much in the morning as a pre workout because I have to eat it right before I workout and anything solid usually hangs out in my throat for the morning workout (I'm not getting up earlier than 4:30 no matter how much it could help).

Once I get to work I usually have some almond butter to snack on and sometimes some hardboiled eggs. But I think I'm getting mostly protein and not enough other stuff. I'm just looking for how to get some quick easy extra calories and any advice on what should make those up.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Jason Kelley

Profile:

Personally, I would always just get a plain unbranded protein shake as I like to get carbs from real food. Much better for digestion and I think I can find better ways to get 'sugar' that most pwo shakes contain.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Clint Harris

Profile:

So, you're asking how you can better supplement your diet of supplements ?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
Greg Geis

Profile:

I'm asking when I use supplements what are the basic components you would recommend for short pre and post workout shakes? For example, I was going to add gainer to my pre to increase my carbs/fat because I thought I liked it more, but I'm really just guessing. I was just going to check in with some people that know what they're talking about before I wonder down my little rabbit trails one order at a time experimenting with different things that sound good. I was just looking to see if there are some basics you want to include or avoid.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

The components of a post-workout shake should mimic the components of an actual meal, because that's what it is.

A protein shake preworkout doesn't do anything special outside of just getting in the extra calories. Some people don't like much in their stomach before working out, if you're one of those people just know that you aren't getting an extra effect from that so you may as well have those calories at a more comfortable time.

Of course, post workout nutrition is a moot point if your caloric load over the balance of the day doesn't support weight gain. Calling yourself a hard gainer is really just an excuse. I'm still pretty skinny, but I focused on eating a bit more and from when I started CF in April 2012 to about July of last year I went from 165 to ~195 at 6'1". Of course, the next step to 205 has been much harder, but that's my problem, not yours - and neither here nor there
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Greg Geis

Profile:

Thanks, that helps especially that the pre workout nutrition is more just "to comfort." So do you think some gainer, whey and milk is a decent combination to mimic a meal? Is there anything in particular you would look for in any part? Eg whey contains certain proteins, or something to look for in a gainer?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Its simple. Add extra cals to your daily intake. Start by adding 500 cals to your daily intake and see what happens.

Add almond butter, oatmeal, flaxseed oil to your shakes.