CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Alex Dichter

Profile:
Affliate fees

After reading a number of threads from Garage Affliates, I feel even more motivated and inspired to get my Level 1 cert and work toward getting affiliated.

However, it seems that there is a large majority of people out there doing this as a hobby. Meaning family and a full time job or a job with a reliable paycheck remains at the top of the priority list. I am wondering how everyone deals with the yearly affiliate fee, especially when one might only have a handful, or less athletes training on a consistent basis. Does anyone have a significant other that would rather see that money going toward the family in someway? My better half is very supportive, but that doesn't decrease the amount of the fee, especially for that first year while building up a clientele from scratch.

I know money is tight for most people, if you fall or fell into this category, how did you deal with it?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Affliate fees

Don't pay your fees, sign a lease, outfit a gym, and then try to build a client base. That's going about things backwards and will leave you with pretty steep bills and no guarantee of income from the start. Build your knowledge and experience base now and train anyone who will let you--get a handful of people as loyal clients who trust you, then expand from there. Even if you aren't charging them anything, the training experience will benefit you. Train them in a globo or park or your garage, just don't call it "CrossFit Dichter" or "CrossFit Southampton" yet. Have them bring friends who want to train. Take steps to get things to spread by word of mouth. Then get those initial clients to help you build your gym from the ground up, but wait until you know you'll have some clients. You don't want to have a grand opening then find yourself twiddling your thumbs all day waiting for customers to show up.

A L1 alone won't be enough preparation to be a successful affiliate--do you have a training or S&C background prior to CF?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

What he said, AND if a $2000 annual fee is what you are most concerned about in terms of expenses, I strongly suggest making a budget for your business, and see that it'll be alot more that $2k/yr you'll need to keep afloat.
Hobby or not...I wouldn't want to lose money doing it.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Alex Dichter

Profile:

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't aware that you could train people without being affiliated. How exactly does that work? People are going to want to know what kind of training is going on. Besides not advertising using "CrossFit Dichter" or "CrossFit Southampton" how else should business and training be conducted to not infringe on the CrossFit name? I'm at a bit of a loss considering every aspect of the training would obviously be Crossfit based.

I don't have much of a background other than training a few friends, however I am pretty comfortable teaching people and conveying information. I definitely have plans of checking out some other local affiliates to see how they run their classes and boxes.

My training will be starting in my garage, and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to expand into a commercial box some day.

Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Jonathan T Fisher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dichter View Post
Thanks for the response.

I wasn't aware that you could train people without being affiliated. How exactly does that work? People are going to want to know what kind of training is going on. Besides not advertising using "CrossFit Dichter" or "CrossFit Southampton" how else should business and training be conducted to not infringe on the CrossFit name? I'm at a bit of a loss considering every aspect of the training would obviously be Crossfit based.

I don't have much of a background other than training a few friends, however I am pretty comfortable teaching people and conveying information. I definitely have plans of checking out some other local affiliates to see how they run their classes and boxes.

My training will be starting in my garage, and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to expand into a commercial box some day.

Thanks again!
Hi Alex,

You do not have to be affiliated to train people, however you are limited in the way you can use the crossfit name. The FAQ on crossfit.com states:

"8.7. Does a Level 1 Trainer Certificate or Level 2 Coach's Certification give me the right to legally advertise CrossFit training and classes?
No.

You can call yourself a "CrossFit Level 1 or 2 Trainer."

You can designate that you are a "CrossFit Level 1 or 2 Trainer " on your website and business cards.

You cannot use the CrossFit name, slogans, art work, photos, or content from the CrossFit Journal in any other business or promotional manner.

Only affiliation gives you the legal right to use the CrossFit name for business and/or promotional purposes.

*** Certificates of Attendance do not grant any of these privileges or distinctions."

One way to go to start out may be to get your L1 and start traing people using the methods you have learned. As you noted in your post you are not going to be able to use the crossfit name in your advertising/business name, etc., but you can let people know that you are a L1 certified crossfit trainer. I would think that affiliation would make it easier to market your business, but for a small garage based operation I don't think it would be impossible to get things started without being affiliated (provided you follow the rules). Eventually you may want to affiliate if you want to move in to a larger facility, the use of the crossfit name will probably become much more important at that time.

Good luck,

Jonathan
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
A L1 alone won't be enough preparation to be a successful affiliate--do you have a training or S&C background prior to CF?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That can NOT be emphasized enough!! I see too many people getting the L1 because they drank the Kool Aid and now they want to start a gym. The ramifications of starting a CrossFit Affiliate without proper education, and more importantly, EXPERIENCE are far reaching. It will not only hurt your reputation but it will create a ripple effect and damage the reputation of existing Affiliates who have fine tuned their systems and are providing great things.

The number of people getting their L1 these days is astronomical. If even half 1/4 of those people started Affiliates we'd be doomed. There is WAY more to being a good trainer and running a successful gym than one can learn in 16 hours of class.

So...build your experience and knowledge before jumping into Affiliation.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Alex Dichter

Profile:

I want to thank everyone for the great advice! I also want to reassure everyone that I want to be the best trainer I can be and I want to do whatever it takes to not tarnish the CrossFit name. Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Rick Martinez

Profile:

We started a blog to help. We don't pimp or sell anything, but it is a resource for wannabe box owners (aka: entrepreneurs) and tells of what worked and did not work for us. It's free, (W/F/S) and simply states facts, what to avoid, some how to's and simple stories of our success and pitfalls as we built a pretty decent Tribe here in Texas.
www.pinkdoughnut.com

May or may not be worth your time...but it's there.

Thanks y'all.