CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Jason Elmore

Profile:
Thinking of starting my own box

Hello all... I am seriously looking into starting up my own box. Any advice, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jason
Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Thinking of starting my own box

Hi Jason,

Two things come to mind.

ONE - manage the learning curve

I see a lot of new business, including boxes, starting out too big too quickly.
Too many variables begin to get out of control too quickly, (which happens in any growth cycle), and balls start to get dropped.

Best to start off as slow as you can, and learn as many lessons as you can under a controlled environment, before taking the leap into the darkness. i.e. taking on a lease, quitting a job, taking on debt, or a business partner, etc.

It can be powerful to sit down and look at all the variables that make a successful box, I mean really document it, organize it, create a model. You'll quickly realize its a HUGE undertaking, a successful box has a more complex value chain than a lot of business out there.

TWO - Know your success and risk factors.

If you don't know where to look when backing a trailer, you end up looking everywhere and it turns into a mess. Business is like any skills or sport. You perform better when you know where to focus, where to look. Get a deep understanding of the problem your solving, and how best to solve it. Understand the value you add to your clients, understand how to measure that, to monitor it. You;re going to get very busy, and by definition you're going to drop many balls. Make sure you don't drop the ones that matter most.

There's an old saying, the business competitor who wins, is the one who fails least.

Lastly, be emotionally prepared, you will continually feel like you're losing tactically, day to day, but if you look carefully you'll realize you are winning strategically, go in with emotional reserves and maintain them. You're only as good as the brain in your head, let stress run it down, and you're business will follow.

Hope this helps

S