CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
Re: Broken 10lb HG plate suggestions.

Here's a fun video Fringe Sport put together showing the abuse the new Troy VTX Bumpers can take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bf_uVhmoUk WFS

I personally haven't tried them yet, but from the video, they look pretty good! Plus, they're cheaper that technique plates!

I really like the idea of scaling down to a smaller/ lighter bar and putting thicker plates on it.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Robby Dinero

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Nedorolik View Post
Here's a fun video Fringe Sport put together showing the abuse the new Troy VTX Bumpers can take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bf_uVhmoUk WFS

I personally haven't tried them yet, but from the video, they look pretty good! Plus, they're cheaper that technique plates!

I really like the idea of scaling down to a smaller/ lighter bar and putting thicker plates on it.
The price for technique plates is way too expensive. $190 for a pair of 10's???? That is nuts. Apparently there is a market, somewhere, for them. The Troys are all that is needed for my clients. Very glad I went with a set. Really enjoying their 15lb training/technique bar, too - much better quality than the York. The Troy can take 300 lbs and is much more solidly built. Still just a training/technique bar, but it has been very durable thus far.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Dinero View Post
The price for technique plates is way too expensive. $190 for a pair of 10's???? That is nuts. Apparently there is a market, somewhere, for them. The Troys are all that is needed for my clients. Very glad I went with a set. Really enjoying their 15lb training/technique bar, too - much better quality than the York. The Troy can take 300 lbs and is much more solidly built. Still just a training/technique bar, but it has been very durable thus far.
I'm sure there WAS a market for them but with technology catching up and the demand for a more durable 10# bumper plate, I think that technique plates are on their way out. I guess we can thank Crossfit for that.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
William Henniger

Profile:

Michael

I searched our inbox, have you emailed in that you had an issue?

Send us the info to team@roguefitness.com because the current HG plates have very few if any warranty issues.

The original HG plates had cast centers, they were the more narrow type plate. We discontinued those some time ago.

I am willing to put our HG plates nose to nose with any 10LB plate on the market.

We carry the Troy plates as well so I am very familiar with all the variants.

People are going to drop bars with 10-15LB plates, it is going to happen. Compared to tech plates you can buy 5 pair+ for the cost difference.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie McLendon View Post
This is the solution. Instruct your members from the start that you do not drop a bar with only 10# bumpers from overhead. Even with 15# bumpers I tell people the same as with these the bars are likely to bounce horizontally and hit someone else. 25# bumpers and above and you are good to go.

After 1.5 years I have not had a single bumper damaged.
Very true, I was going to add that. I tell my athletes not to drop anything unless they are missing an attempt and need to get out of the way to prevent injuring themselves. Other than that if you are dropping a bar with only 10's on it because you can't physically lower it down then you probably shouldn't be lifting that weight to start with.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

We have both 15 lb(28 mm diam) and 10 lb(25 mm diam) bars for use when the bumpers will not at least equal 45 or 33 lbs on regular bars. 10 lbs bumpers are great, but you have to play nice with the "little guys".