CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Michael McCarthy

Profile:
Broken 10lb HG plate suggestions.

Hey Everyone,

I have both 10lb hg and high temp plates. I do not particularly like the high temps because when the when they are dropped the bars tend to shoot to the left or right and we have had situations where they hit other athletes

I like the HG plates much better because they do not bounce however they all are breaking.

Does anyone have any suggestion?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Broken 10lb HG plate suggestions.

Buy tech plates. They are plates made from hard plastics or polymers that are almost unbreakable and have zero bounce and come in low weights (5 and 10lbs).Built specifically for this situation. Rogue and GetRx sell them. I'll find the links when I get off the iPhone.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Jess Ablang

Profile:

(All following links WFS)

Sorinex does also have their Unbreakable Bumpers. Kinda pricey, but more like a rubber bumper than a hard polymer technique plate:
http://store.sorinex.com/Sorinex-10-...s-p/s0r-10.htm

The ones from Get Rx'd:
http://www.getrxd.net/index.php/weig...ue-plates.html

The HiTech ones from Rogue (and a lot of others):
http://www.roguefitness.com/hitech-training-plates.php

Technique plates from Fringe Sport:
http://www.fringesport.com/collectio...chnique-plates
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

They should break the habit of dropping a bar with only 10's on.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Willie McLendon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
This is the solution. Instruct your members from the start that you do not drop a bar with only 10# bumpers from overhead. Even with 15# bumpers I tell people the same as with these the bars are likely to bounce horizontally and hit someone else. 25# bumpers and above and you are good to go.

After 1.5 years I have not had a single bumper damaged.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I dunno. You can say that, but there are still situations where I think it's useful. Mistakes still happen in the O Lifts at 55 and 65 pounds. That's heavy for some people.

I also think its kind of ****ty on a workout like Fran where a guy going RX can let the bar drop, but a girl doing RX is forced to set it down gently? That kinda blows if they're being competitive. ESPECIALLY in a CF Open type scenario.

I get what you're saying and there's no reason to let a bar go with 10s all the time just because. I think it's warranted sometimes though.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I dunno. You can say that, but there are still situations where I think it's useful. Mistakes still happen in the O Lifts at 55 and 65 pounds. That's heavy for some people.

I also think its kind of ****ty on a workout like Fran where a guy going RX can let the bar drop, but a girl doing RX is forced to set it down gently? That kinda blows if they're being competitive. ESPECIALLY in a CF Open type scenario.

I get what you're saying and there's no reason to let a bar go with 10s all the time just because. I think it's warranted sometimes though.
You can always get a 15lb training bar and slap 25s on there.

And the issue isn't the occasional miss on a 55lb Oly lift...it's when people are doing Grace with 10lb plates and dropping every. single. rep. from overhead.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McCarthy View Post
Hey Everyone,

I have both 10lb hg and high temp plates. I do not particularly like the high temps because when the when they are dropped the bars tend to shoot to the left or right and we have had situations where they hit other athletes

I like the HG plates much better because they do not bounce however they all are breaking.

Does anyone have any suggestion?
Hi Michael,

You've brought up a great point and it's something that we are asked all the time. What can I do about preserving or increasing the lifespan of the 10lb and 15lb bumpers?

Those lighter weight bumpers are the most replaced because naturally, they are the thinnest and can frequently end up being the only bumper on the bar sleeve. That combination usually results in disaster.

And you are right, the higher density plates do not have the rebound that a recycled bumper has. Issue is - that recycled bumpers are arguably the better solution for the lighter weights because at least those bumpers are thicker and could take more impact.

Troy, however, has redesigned their Black 10lb bumper to make it one of the most durable out there. They have increased the diameter of the center hub which has dramatically improved the resiliency of the bumper. So - we've seen them used successfully. No bumper in our opinion is absolutely bullet-proof, but this 'new' Troy product has really got our attention.

The absolute best solution is to make sure that the 10lb and 15lb plates are not the only plate on the bar sleeves during a high rep WOD. Since that is not always practical, one of our local affiliates wrote a very smart bar loading diagram that we've attached. Joe Celso of CrossFit Rochester came up with it and he very kindly gave us permission to pass it along wherever it might be helpful.

If you want a look at the new Troy 10lb plate, see it here:

http://blog.hammerheadfitness.com/bl...Product-Update [WFS]

Thanks for bringing up this topic Michael - it's definitely a good one.

Take care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar-loading-diagram-1.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	10755  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Robby Dinero

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jaeger View Post
Hi Michael,
Troy, however, has redesigned their Black 10lb bumper to make it one of the most durable out there. They have increased the diameter of the center hub which has dramatically improved the resiliency of the bumper. So - we've seen them used successfully. No bumper in our opinion is absolutely bullet-proof, but this 'new' Troy product has really got our attention.
If you want a look at the new Troy 10lb plate, see it here:
http://blog.hammerheadfitness.com/bl...Product-Update [WFS]
Take care.
People will continue to drop bars with loaded only with 10's despite our caveats against it. People will continue to "improperly" load the bar despite our diagrams.

Solution: buy the Troy 10lb bumpers from Steve. I had the Hi-temps; the quality was crap. Steve got me the Troys. They are outstanding and as close to a bullet proof 10 lb bumper as I have found. As an added bonus, Steve at Hammerhead is a square shooter who stands behind what he sells.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Yes this. No need to throw a bar with 10's on it, I've had my HI Temps for awhile and they are in great shape, we use them almost every day. When using just the 10's, I never throw them down for that reason, because they will break.