CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Cameron Lloyd

Profile:
Hello

I'm competing in my first Tougest Competitior Alive compeition in Adelaide in March next year. I was wondering if anyone has ever competed in this event or is planning to compete. How would you go about training for it.

It involves in order 5km run, shotput, 100m sprint, 100m swim, rope climb (no feet), max bench press, pull ups and obs course all in one day.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
William Winger

Profile:
Well the good news is, you have time to prepare. The bad news is, that sounds like a [expletive deleted].

My advice, and I'm sure more, and better, advice will follow, is to simply perform the WoDs when they seem in line with your objective, and to train specific events when the WoD won't help you.

Also, make sure you test your ability to move from one event to the next, maybe twice a month do three of the events in order, and once a month do five in order. I don't know though, that seems like a lot...

I'm sure someone else will chime in with their (more experienced) advice.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Interval training, WODs and the occasional long run should help with the 5k.

O-lifts, standing pressing exercises should help with the shotput. Get some shotput technical advice.

O-lifts, squats and sprinting for the 100m.

Swim to get better at swimming; there is no substitute. Gotta swim.

Pullups, grip exercises and rope climb for the rope climb.

Bench press for bench press.

WODs and obstacle course for the obstacle course. The obstacle course will require specific practice, you'll get creamed if you just wing it.

Sounds like a fun challenge.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Ralph Coates

Profile:
read up on proper (ie powerlifting) bench press technique. I'll wager that many competitors will not consider this, as almost every gym-enthusiast thinks they can bench. Then, practice it. Treat it like you would any other skill, and do it often. Perhaps set aside a time frame - maybe ten minutes - every session before or after your main workout, (wod/whatever) and just groove the lift. Do a set of 2-3, add weight if it feels easy or take it off if it feels hard. Avoid failure. This way you can get some meaningful training in without detracting from your other endeavours.

I imagine a similar approach may work with other events, but I have no experience of that so couldn't comment.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Cameron Lloyd

Profile:
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. A lot of it reenforces the thoughts I had on training for the comp with a few extras that I hadn't considered.

I also think strategy plays a part, as some events can make or break you as far as the scoring goes
Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
"Interval training, WODs and the occasional long run should help with the 5k".

far be it from me to offer training advice on these forums but from my experience, the ability to run a sub 20 min 5k and recover quickly is best accomplished using the principles of Crossfit; namely short intense run workouts (sprints). Long runs accomplish nothing other than making you tired.

If you want to run fast (in a race), you have to run fast (train) as a former coach once told me. The 800m workout that was offered last week is a good example of a run workout that in combination with your other training will do much to enhance your speed in the 5k.

If you feel inclined, run the 800m workout in the morning and repeat it in the afternoon. You will have essentially run a 5k but at a much faster pace.

Work on running each 800 below 3mins if you wish to accomplish a sub 20min 5k (scale your 800m times according to what time you wish to achieve in the 5k). Rest sufficiently between the 800s to make it a speed workout not an endurance workout.