CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #21
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: All show vs. All go

Sweet blog post Jason.
You're right. I hated the fact that my class in college was on the third floor and the elevator was slow so I had to take the stairs to avoid being late. I'd always walk in huffing and puffing and it was downright embarrassing. That was hard.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #22
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Sweet blog post Jason.
You're right. I hated the fact that my class in college was on the third floor and the elevator was slow so I had to take the stairs to avoid being late. I'd always walk in huffing and puffing and it was downright embarrassing. That was hard.
Thank you Sir!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

The more I look at that the more it hits home.
I remember getting out of breath to tie my shoes because my stomach was so big that when I leaned over my leg pressed into my stomach. I hated that.
I'm obviously not where I want to be with CF, but a ton of that stuff that I had problems with has cleared itself up.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #24
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Sounds like someone has a mancrush!

On a more serious note, I said that classic BB is a legit method of training and is particularly effective in achieving certain goals. There is also no doubt that Classic BB will result in gaining a ton of strength. That is not what I was saying.

My point was, the picture represents the pinnacle of classic body building and the pinnacle of functional fitness. The question is what is best for you. To me, there is no question in my mind that training hard style or crossfit or any over functional fitness philosophy is more fun than BB. But as one crossfit affiliate has said, "our fun is not fun." Plus, there is no question that the hard style produces the type of strength that I want. Add that to the fact that I believe it also comes with a more attractive physique and the and to "what style should I train" is very easy to answer. FF is more fun (subjective), more effective(arguable but still objective), and produces a more attractive physique (subjective). It's only draw back is that it is damn hard, but I think that adds to the fun.
No mancrush buddy. But, I will admit, and this is what my post was all about, people that dont train like us are, often, still in good shape. In fact, some people who train in ways that you or I would disdain, are sometimes in such good overall shape that I for one am impressed by them. There are a lot of pretty damn good athletes out there who are working chest and biceps, playing basketball, doing pullups or dips when the mood strikes them, etc.

There is a certain train of thought among both those who squat and deadlift heavy, and CFers, to look at the normal gym crowd and say they are all wimps, and to often spell wimp starting with a P and ending with a Y. And it simply isnt true all of the time.

Maybe the strongest human I have ever seen was a self described bodybuilder. He trained like a bodybuilder. He could also do sets of 675 for 5 deep squats, 405 for 3 on the military press, and other lifts you might not believe if I told you. I saw him curl, with loose form, 315 for a couple of sets of 5, for instance. He was about 5' 10" tall and had abs at 295lbs. His BB training allowed him to walk onto the KSU football squad and win a starting position as nosetackle and start for 2 years, turns out he could run and move pretty well in addition to being ungodly strong.

He was a thrower (shot put) in a small town in Kansas before attending KSU, to be fair. But he trained like a BBer, and undoubtedly, most of his size and strength were built training like a BBer.

I firmly believe that Starting Strength is better than the chest once a week the day after arm day routine the local BB hero at the local Golds gym would give you, dont get me wrong. But the feeling that if your not doing SS or CF, your not an athlete and cant be an athlete... well its just not true, IMO.

glenn
Old 06-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #25
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
No mancrush buddy. But, I will admit, and this is what my post was all about, people that dont train like us are, often, still in good shape. In fact, some people who train in ways that you or I would disdain, are sometimes in such good overall shape that I for one am impressed by them. There are a lot of pretty damn good athletes out there who are working chest and biceps, playing basketball, doing pullups or dips when the mood strikes them, etc.

There is a certain train of thought among both those who squat and deadlift heavy, and CFers, to look at the normal gym crowd and say they are all wimps, and to often spell wimp starting with a P and ending with a Y. And it simply isnt true all of the time.

Maybe the strongest human I have ever seen was a self described bodybuilder. He trained like a bodybuilder. He could also do sets of 675 for 5 deep squats, 405 for 3 on the military press, and other lifts you might not believe if I told you. I saw him curl, with loose form, 315 for a couple of sets of 5, for instance. He was about 5' 10" tall and had abs at 295lbs. His BB training allowed him to walk onto the KSU football squad and win a starting position as nosetackle and start for 2 years, turns out he could run and move pretty well in addition to being ungodly strong.

He was a thrower (shot put) in a small town in Kansas before attending KSU, to be fair. But he trained like a BBer, and undoubtedly, most of his size and strength were built training like a BBer.

I firmly believe that Starting Strength is better than the chest once a week the day after arm day routine the local BB hero at the local Golds gym would give you, dont get me wrong. But the feeling that if your not doing SS or CF, your not an athlete and cant be an athlete... well its just not true, IMO.

glenn
The original intent of this thread kind of got lost to me, but isn't he kind of a bad example? From your description, he seems like a genetic super-freak and would have excelled no matter what program he followed. As far as athletics, it would have been interesting to see him follow a program designed to supplement the sports he participated in. Then again maybe he did if he did play football for 2 years. And 300# @ 5'10" is ridiculous!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #26
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post
The original intent of this thread kind of got lost to me, but isn't he kind of a bad example?
The original intent of the thread was that I thought it was a cool pic. Like I said, the pic represents the pinnacle of two different training philosophies. It wasn't to diminish BB or to make the assertion that everyone who BB is a wimp or is not strong. Heck, I would argue that Dorian Yates is one of histories greatest strongmen. Again, the intent was just to post a cool pic I come across in a good article on a blog that helped my justify why I train the way I train. That is all.

http://relentlesspt.wordpress.com/20...tive-strength/ (WFS)