CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: Uncontacted Amazon Tribe

Unfortunately, the whole thing was apparently a well-intentioned hoax:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/21/amazon

(WFS)
Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I knew it was fake because a few dudes holding spears were the exact same in all of the photos of them.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #13
Pilar Grace

Profile:

This wasn't a hoax in the sense of those being fake natives. They were an un-contacted tribe whose existence was known by our side, not theirs. The only deception was saying the agency in charge of protecting them didn't know they were there. It wasn't a staged shot.

BTW, I'm from Colombia, and this sort of "discovery" isn't that unusual.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
John Chambers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar Grace View Post
This wasn't a hoax in the sense of those being fake natives. They were an un-contacted tribe whose existence was known by our side, not theirs. The only deception was saying the agency in charge of protecting them didn't know they were there. It wasn't a staged shot.

BTW, I'm from Colombia, and this sort of "discovery" isn't that unusual.
Personally, after reading the story, I'm appalled by the government policy of no outside contact. Allowing them to live in the most primitive conditions.

Is it fair to withold modern medicines, farming techniques, or an education from these people? They are human beings, not guinea pigs or monuments to a bygone era.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
Pilar Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Chambers View Post
Personally, after reading the story, I'm appalled by the government policy of no outside contact. Allowing them to live in the most primitive conditions.

Is it fair to withold modern medicines, farming techniques, or an education from these people? They are human beings, not guinea pigs or monuments to a bygone era.
You are right John. Far better to force them into a modern world, destroy their religion, force them to conform to modern economic practices, and make them dependent on the government for food, clothing, etc. They would be far better off than just being self-sufficient. Why to think the government has an agency set up to keep them protected from people who want to come in and poach on their land, clear-cut it and grow soy beans and corn for the snack aisle at Whole Foods.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Pilar, while there are many aspects of modern civilization (modern barbarism might be a more appropriate name for those aspects) I would not wish on them, it is not being helpful to try and keep them in sun-god worship.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Pilar Grace

Profile:

But who has the right to come in and destroy their culture?

History has already shown what a disaster "civilization" can wreak on aboriginal cultures. Would it be better to leave well enough alone until we do know of a way to properly handle the situation, or should we just walk in knowing they will end up dependent and in far worse physical, economic and social shape than if we didn't.

Please understand, I think modern medicine is one of the things they would benefit from, but my own ancestors come from two tribes that no longer exist thanks to "help" from civilization.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Yeah, because our sun-god worship has worked out so well for the world. Leave them be.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
John Chambers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar Grace View Post
You are right John. Far better to force them into a modern world, destroy their religion, force them to conform to modern economic practices, and make them dependent on the government for food, clothing, etc. They would be far better off than just being self-sufficient. Why to think the government has an agency set up to keep them protected from people who want to come in and poach on their land, clear-cut it and grow soy beans and corn for the snack aisle at Whole Foods.
It's nice of everyone to make the decison FOR them that they should live in ignorance and primitve conditions instead of allowing them to make an informed decision for themselves.

These are not children or animals. They are human beings equal to you and I in every respect. It is not our job (or right) to control their lives by keeping information from them to force them to live in a "pure" lifestyle that none of us would chose to live in.

As far as them being better off in their current lifestyle, while I hear a lot of people praise primitive people and how wonderful the primitive life they lead is, I don't see anyone giving up their modern lives to go join them.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #20
Pilar Grace

Profile:

John, we all have different viewpoints on what would be the right thing to do, but I think this thread is getting a bit too political. PM if you want to continue the discussion...it is certain to be stimulating.

BTW, Where do you train?