CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
Michael Jarman

Profile:
Impinged supraspinatus Please help.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with having a MRI with contrast and than being told there is no tear and all you have is tendinitis. But in fact you did have a torn labrum and the MRI with contrast missed it.. And if you did, how did you eventually find out you had a slap tear(or torn labrum)? I have been diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis and supraspinatus impingement. I've had shoulder pain since December and have done PT for 2 months just recently. It does not seem like it's getting any better at all.

So I have two possible situations

1. MRI w/ contrast missed torn labrum

2. Supraspinatus is really inflamed and nothing has worked so far. All I've done is physical therapy exercises.

Any experience on what you did to fix it?

It's been 6 months- I'm going crazy. I can't throw a stinking frisby for my dawg. I miss being active SO MUCH. PT people told me I might not ever get better. I can't except that. It doesn't make any sense that my shoulder not being torn won't ever get better. Please help me. I'm desperate.

I'm in Huntington Beach CA if anyone knows anyone that specializes in fixing stuff like this.

Thanks fellow crossfitters.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #2
Zach Long

Profile:
Re: Impinged supraspinatus Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jarman View Post
PT people told me I might not ever get better.
Sounds like a crappy PT.

What have they done as far as hands on work for your shoulder?

I have seen multiple MRI missed labral tears working as a sports PT. Usually I suspect the labrum when I get certain symptoms during my manual therapy treatments
Old 06-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Michael Jarman

Profile:

Thanks so much for the quick response!

Resistance exercises with bands and little 2-4 lb weights. Oh and push-ups at an incline on like a countertop. No massage stuff at all if that's what you mean by hands on.

Symptoms as of now. Tender in my outward most part of my chest, armpit, and below my right trap. Lots of clicking noises.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Zach Long

Profile:

I mean both soft tissue and joint mobilizations. Ask around your box to see if any knows a good hands on therapist
Old 06-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

I have episodic supraspinatus flare-ups due to minor impingement, and I've done various forms of pre-hab, rehab, etc. and even had an MRI w/o contrast years ago that was inconclusive WRT to the labrum. The things that have worked the best for me are:

- hanging from the pull-up rig for 15-20 seconds at a time (stretches the acromion a bit to give more room for the supraspinatus)
- "banded bully" stretch and similar mobility work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeO4tTiwoBw {WFS}
- lacrosse ball mobilization in the front of the delt and pec minor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IBi-I2YyA4 {WFS}

One caveat here - I did not have additional pain raising my arm above my shoulder and could use my arm, so perhaps mine is less severe, or I don't really have significant involvement of the labrum.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Yes I have seen MRIs with contrast miss things. But you also want to start thinking about other things that can cause pain like neck radiating in to chest and trapezuius area. I would go back to your original MD letting him or her know that you are not better. Sometimes we say things and people don't hear come back in a month if you are not better. Other possibility is getting another MD for a fresh look.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

I did PT 3/wk for 4 weeks or so I think for mine. It worked. They had me doing front raises with thumbs up with a 5lb DB, scapula pushups, other banded things, all geared toward strengthening my shoulder blades and getting them mobile again, which assisted my supra in the healing and function process (as best I understand it). Plus after every session I got an ultrasound treatment. I'm eventually gonna buy myself one of those beauties..amazing.

They also had me doing general rotator cuff strengthening movements. Basically all the possible motions of shoulder rotation with light resistance.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Zach Long

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
Plus after every session I got an ultrasound treatment. I'm eventually gonna buy myself one of those beauties..amazing.
Go do some research on the true effectiveness of those before you buy. Most recent research shows there are few conditions that it significantly helps.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Super timely post as I am suffering a little from some of this.

I think I slept funny and got myself in a bad position. I went to PT and he mobilized it for a long while and then clunked right back where the humeral head should be. I believe I was sitting an bit anterior. Shoulder is still fired up quite a bit so i will be icing, stretching, mobilizing and strengthening. I know my scap etc is in good shape as we have been working on it.

I think my neck is partly to blame as well. Does not appear to be any tearing at all and I am hoping to get back to normalish activity in a couple weeks.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
Kyle B Cooke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jarman View Post
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with having a MRI with contrast and than being told there is no tear and all you have is tendinitis. But in fact you did have a torn labrum and the MRI with contrast missed it.. And if you did, how did you eventually find out you had a slap tear(or torn labrum)? I have been diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis and supraspinatus impingement. I've had shoulder pain since December and have done PT for 2 months just recently. It does not seem like it's getting any better at all.

So I have two possible situations

1. MRI w/ contrast missed torn labrum

2. Supraspinatus is really inflamed and nothing has worked so far. All I've done is physical therapy exercises.

Any experience on what you did to fix it?

It's been 6 months- I'm going crazy. I can't throw a stinking frisby for my dawg. I miss being active SO MUCH. PT people told me I might not ever get better. I can't except that. It doesn't make any sense that my shoulder not being torn won't ever get better. Please help me. I'm desperate.

I'm in Huntington Beach CA if anyone knows anyone that specializes in fixing stuff like this.

Thanks fellow crossfitters.
Hey Michael,

Whether you're dealing with a shoulder impingement or a tear there will be inflammation which needs to be dealt with and that will relieve pain when dealt with. Blood flow will help either condition, however a full tear would require surgery to put the ligament back together. I doubt the doc would miss a full tear on an MRI though.

It wouldn't surprise me if Patrick was benefiting from the Ultrasound, it will draw more blood to the area. Ultrasound stimulates circulation with sound waves (vibration) though and can cause aggravations too. Electro-magnetic stimulation is better, gets blood flowing without physical manipulation. Here's on brand of it http://www.kingbrand.com/Shoulder-Wraps.php?REF=52PV74

PT is another way to get blood flowing, though as you experienced comes with it's risks too. Still a good idea, just less is more.