CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Brittany N Miller

Profile:
Lower back pain

Chiro initially thought pulled muscle. Started to get better but the pain came back so he is now leaning toward a ligament strain. Has anyone else had this or know of anyone that has?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Nick Harris

Profile:
Re: Lower back pain

Where is it located? Back? Upper or lower?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I would ditch the chiro and go see an orthopaedic doctor if it is causing you that much of an issue
Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Not a doc but have dealt with low back pain for a long time...have blown out discs as well.

Biggest advice, don't push it and assume it is muscular or a ligament or whatever. Take it easy...don't push it. A bulging disc touches on nerves which will manifest itself in varying ways. Pain, numbness, tingling, tightness. If it is a bulging disc and you push it and blow it out, you will regret it big time.

Hard to get an MRI unless your symptoms are pretty bad. See a couple docs and take your time coming back.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Dan Schaal

Profile:

HI Glenn - I was just reading your response. You are a few yrs older than me (I am 42), but seem to do very well despite the back injuries. What is it that you have been doing to continue Crossfit despite the back injuries?

I have had a rescurring back injury (aggravated this past Feb) and have taken sometime off. It is a shame, as the past 10 months, I have been very intense towards my workouts. Combined with the back injury, my left should and wrist were bothering me. I have been going to a chiro, mostly for the back, but he has been doing some work on my shoulder also. Two weeks ago, I broke down and went to the ortho for my shoulder. she diagnsed it as bursitis and gave me a cortizone shot. Basically the left arm is now taking a break and I am goign to start the shoulder impingement stretching exercises in a week or two.

The worst part of this, is that NO MEMORIAL DAY MURPH FOR ME!!!! very dissapointed!

With my back issue, I am at the point that I am very close to not doing deadlifts in WODs. As much as I love crossfit, I believe (and it may be due to my age - 42 - and/or chronic injuries) the repetitve stress/movements can be detrimental. The chiro and PA stated that the wrist injury as well as the shoulder are due to repetitive stress on the joints/ligaments/etc. So I am at the point where I need to get these healed and find the happy medium in order to continue doing crossfit. I like to go hard/intense, but at this point, I am not sure if my back/shoulder/wrist will allow it. I am going to have to see how my rehab goes.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Dan,

Thanks for the note. If you are on Facebook, shoot me a friend request. I have a small, private group for Lumbar disc injuries. 30 or so of us on there...support, ideas on what others are doing or have done, wods you can do, documents written up by others for guidance and now some video of folks going through their journey.

I am happy to send you some background on me. I continue to struggle with how hard to push. The journey back has been long. Aug of this year will mark 2 years since blowing out my L4/5. I had to go back to the drawing board and focus on moving better, mobility, mobility, mobility and lots of core work. Being older, I also have wrist, shoulder and other things which I have to watch so I know the feeling.

A lot of this comes down to risk/reward. If not on FB, feel free to send me a note at plomchok1022@gmail.com as I don't check these boards very often anymore.

Regards
Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Kyle B Cooke

Profile:

For any ligament injury blood flow is required to heal and prevent aggravation. Rest is key too! There is a stimulator I use before lifting and a cold compression wrap for after, check the link. The cold wrap is the next best thing to an ice bath, better actually because I target specific areas and can use it for longer.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Combination...REF=52PV141.70