CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-31-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
Mike Haas

Profile:
Elbow limited in extension AND flexion?

I caught a clean strangely last week, didn't quite get the elbows through, and felt a little something in my right elbow.

Lingering effect is that I've lost about 15degrees of extension, and probably about the same amount of flexion. Some minor inflammation and tenderness at the joint, but (as long as I'm not testing the limits of ROM) nothing outrageous.

A bit of voodoo-floss action https://youtu.be/GZG_9O_mAgM (SFW MWOD video) restores SOME of the lost ROM, but only for a few hours.

Shaving and brushing teeth lefthanded is getting annoying.

Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
Zach Long

Profile:
Re: Elbow limited in extension AND flexion?

I wrote an article about this a while back http://thebarbellphysio.com/2014/06/...logy-referral/ (wfs)

Lacking elbow extension after an injury should be x-rayed as it often indicates a fracture.

Appelboam et al concluded their study: “The elbow extension test can be used in routine practice to inform clinical decision-making. Patients who cannot fully extend their elbow after injury should be referred for radiography, as they have a nearly 50% chance of fracture. For those able to fully extend their elbow, radiography can be deferred if the practitioner is confident that an olecranon fracture is not present (Appelboam et al).”

The last two patients I saw lacking full elbow extension after injury both had fractures. Much different mechanism of injuries but still think its worth possibly getting imaging done
Old 04-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
Zach Long

Profile:
Re: Elbow limited in extension AND flexion?

Any update?