CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Katie Jones

Profile:
Crossfit and Bulk

Hi guys,

I've been doing some CF for a few months, and loving it! I'm interested in getting more hardcore into it, but have some concerns.

I'm an equestrian vaulter. For those who don't know what it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFXq07Uh_Uc

I'm 5'3", somewhere around 145#. I've only recently been kicking a binge-eating problem. My coaches want me to start competing internationally soon, but they say (and I agree) I need to lose weight in order to make it. I'm interested in losing fat and gaining agility and power. However, since I have to wear spandex, be very supple and get lifted by other people, I don't want to put on a lot of bulk. Is it possible to reap the benefits of CF without gaining much muscle? Also, is paleo a good plan for my goals? I know a lot of you swear by zone, but I'm afraid being that anal will make me fall into my old bingeing ways...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Katie Jones : 11-08-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Bulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Jones View Post
Is it possible to reap the benefits of CF without gaining much muscle?
I think the real question you're asking is "Can I do CF without bulking up?" right? The answer to that is absolutely. You will get stronger and if you eat right (see below) you will lean out. If you check out the testimonial section you'll find some great threads (many with pictures) discussing the positive body changes women have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Jones View Post
Also, is paleo a good plan for my goals?
Yes. Paleo's primary concern is quality while the Zone's is quantity. Go with whatever you know you'll follow.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Questions...

welcome aboard!

diet is going to be 80% of your results. but a good way to think about it is giving your body the best nutrition you can with the calories you consume. as far as the binging is concerned have you seen a doctor? do you know what the cause is?

one of the benefits of the paleo diet is that it cuts out grains and sugars. grains & sugars spike the insulin levels which then crash causing you to have the munchies. so i would look into your nutrition.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
diet is going to be 80% of your results. but a good way to think about it is giving your body the best nutrition you can with the calories you consume.
Ted put it very well. You will see gains in the 10 areas of fitness from doing CF, but the body composition gains will come from dialing in the fuel.

If you look at most CF women, most of us are not "bulky" from a muscle mass point of view. You will find that the muscle will firm up and respond better, but you won't look like those 75kg+ Olympic lifting women without trying.

In my roughly 2+ months of doing CF (and politely ignoring the fuel issue, unfortunately) I have seen an increase in muscle definition, but not size. I have not seen a change in scale weight, but I have dropped roughly 1% body fat and gained roughly 1% lean body mass every month. I would see the body fat percentage drop a lot faster if I would just get off my tush and pay attention to nutrition.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Katie Jones

Profile:

I've seen a doctor, but there's nothing wrong with me physically, my blood chemistry's good, and all that. Can't afford a therapist, but my self-help seems to be working. I'm starting a log here; that should also help.

Thanks for the input, y'all.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Welcome, Katie!

CF is an outstanding method by which you can (and will, with hard work), reach your goals. I'll be starting my 10th week of CF tomorrow. I've lost 15 pounds, I'm more fit than I've been in years (though still a long way from my goals) and feel good. My wife and I are doing Weight Watchers, but I've augmented my "diet" to include primarily more protein to support the WOs.

A lot of CF work, as you've probably seen, is body-weight oriented. Just doing some of these BW exercise WODs will eventually make you crazy strong.......strength training stuff (oly lifts) which is worked into the routines just adds to it.

I love how the WOs can be adapted to basically anyone, of any age, and of any fitness level.

Wishing you the best in your CF endeavors!