CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #21
David Finney

Profile:
Re: Lowering Fran time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar A Perez View Post
Well i start on Sundays with Metabolic conditioning mostly running, swiming or jump rope i do that to prepared the body for mondays wod. Also on Sundays and Thursday i work my weaknesses. the following days i combine heavy and light weightlifting with gymnastics. For example my WODs for last week:
Sunday
1,000 single unders-C
Skills practice strict pullups, kipping and butterfly for 15 mins
WOD
Bench press 135#-10 reps
butterfly pullups-10 reps
situps-10 reps
amrap-20 mins

monday-160# bear complex 30 reps-skill HSPU and HSwalk
wod #2-Annie
WOD#3-65# 30 snatch - 30 clean n jerks- 30 power cleans

tuesday-skill- double unders- 10 mins
wod#1-karen
Wod#2-Grace
Wod#3-OH lunges 45# plate / SDHP KB 1.5 pod/ 10-8-6-4-2-
wednesday-Rest

Thursday
skill ring muscle up progression
wod#1-Diane
Wod#2-thrusters 95# and KB swing 1.5- starts with 1 reps then 2 until hit 12 reps (it sucks)
WOD#3 Box jump 24" with two 45# plates 50 reps for time

friday
skills bar muscle up
wod#1-deadlift until i hit my max
same with squat clean and press
wod #2
5 snatch 95#
5 HSPU
5 ring dips
5 SDHP 95#
10 min amrap

and every week i tried to change the wods, but i really like the weighlifting part
I didn't see the words 'rest' or 'recovery' anywhere in your plan. You're doing an absurd amount of work, and without any rest you're going to overtrain and get injured and/or sick.

****Edit - After re-reading your post, I saw that Wed is a rest day. You would benefit from an active recovery day and more strength work. Do less 'wods' and more specific training to get your 'wod' times down.

Last edited by David Finney : 02-17-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #22
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Lowering Fran time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar A Perez View Post
I will try it, as soon as i finish i will tell you my new numbers. On the first round of thrusters i have no problem doing the 21, the problem is after that. I will break it like you said. Also i hit the wall when doing the second round so i know i have to work on that(mental aspect). Thank you very much for this info, it will be very helpfull for me.
Cool. Would be interesting to hear. You may have to play with the reps and rests for your own abilities. But it really all boils down to coming up with a plan and understanding yourself, where you are at high intensity and come off just before you gas out. Then be solid on how much rest you take. The flip side to this is that you end up taking too many breaks/transitions which will eat up time. (rather than being totally smoked and mentally out of it).
Potentially you may be better at 21 thrusters, breath 5, then 11/10 pull-ups, 10/5 thrusters. Who knows - but you won't know until you try, try different things, experiment, make some notes, and try something else. Understand yourself and really keep that rest under management - that is actually huge in getting good times. Anyone can blast out 15 reps and die, but having the focus to do 8 with 2 s rest and get back to do 7 straight away is often much faster when moving into the next set/round/exercise. It may also be a case of simply slowing your cycle times down. e.g. Take 50s to do the 21 thrusters or pull-ups, allowing yourself to breathe, rather than 40s and be gasping. (or whatever the timing may be).
It's not unlike rowing at 25spm vs 35spm. You can go at the same speed for both, but one is typically more sustainable than the other.