CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:
Modifying a wod

Guys my shoulders are naturally very narrow and i need to work on them to achieve my esthetical goals. I know crossfit is not about physical show off but i'm just thinking about little changes that might help me. For example, if i have this wod;

Strength

Shoulder Press
10-10-10

Metcon (Time)

3 Rounds
30 Wall Ball (20/14)
10 Bar Muscle Ups

What happens if i add a 3x15 dumbell side lateral raise to strength part of the workout ? Will it effect my metcon performance so badly ? or will it result as overtraining ? My wods have strength workouts 3 times a week and these strength wods consist of just 1 compound movement (front/back squat, shoulder press, deadlift or bench press) mostly 5x5. I have seen the strength wods of CFFB have 2 movements mostly, so i was thinking about possible positive or negative results of adding 1 isolating movement to my strength wods. What do you think ?

Last edited by Hakan Yilmazkaya : 12-21-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Modifying a wod

What's going to build your shoulders?
Being able to overhead press your bodyweight or being able to get a good pump from lat raises?

Lat raises are a sculpting movement to use once you have the shape you want.

Heck, you could argue building your deadlift and squat will help your shoulders more than lat raises.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
What's going to build your shoulders?
Being able to overhead press your bodyweight or being able to get a good pump from lat raises?

Lat raises are a sculpting movement to use once you have the shape you want.

Heck, you could argue building your deadlift and squat will help your shoulders more than lat raises.
So what if i add 1 more deadlift a week on strength wods ? I mean if it says only 5x5 back squat for the strength wod, what happens if i do 5x5 back squat and 5x5 deadlift (or shoulder press etc depending on weekly schedule) ?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

What are your goals, Hakan? Specifically, not generally. I think youd be better served choosing a program that fits them rather than randomly adding things to other programs.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
What are your goals, Hakan? Specifically, not generally. I think youd be better served choosing a program that fits them rather than randomly adding things to other programs.
If you ask me that question 2 months ago, i would tell you my goal is lifting bigger, getting bigger and stronger, i didn't care so much about metcons and i was so into oly lifting part of crossfit. In past 2 months, i started to enjoy every part of crossfit, especially metcons. I can no more enjoy just go lift and come back to home, i miss hearing my heart beats. So now i still want to get some mass because i have bone structure of a woman, naturally thin. But i don't want to do a pure mass gaining program like SS or something because i want to be a complete athlete more than a model now, i can't leave metcons. Being an athlete with broader shoulders might be the best of all =)
Old 12-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Ok, in that case you may be barking up the wrong tree. Mass gaining isnt about adding as exercise or two to a program, it is about eating more food. Programs like SS arent "mass gaining" programs, they are strength building programs. Is it easier to gain mass on those programs? Yes. Thats because heavy lifting promotes muscle building significantly more than conditioning does.

So to summarize, a few extra sets of lateral raises arent going to give you broad shoulders, but an extra chicken breast or potato might help.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Ok, in that case you may be barking up the wrong tree. Mass gaining isnt about adding as exercise or two to a program, it is about eating more food. Programs like SS arent "mass gaining" programs, they are strength building programs. Is it easier to gain mass on those programs? Yes. Thats because heavy lifting promotes muscle building significantly more than conditioning does.

So to summarize, a few extra sets of lateral raises arent going to give you broad shoulders, but an extra chicken breast or potato might help.
Yes you are right, i'm already eating to gain weight. I'm eating around 3300 calories a day, slightly over my maintanance. But as long as you don't lift heavy and corrupt your muscles, there is always a risk that you will gain weight as fat. You will not gain lean mass by just doing double unders right ? I was also wondering how much lifting is enough for building mass as soon as you are eating enough. I mean i wonder how big you can be with just doing mainsite wods and eating to gain weight. Is it possible to have 16 inch lean arms by just doing wods ? I'm asking because most of the times i don't feel sore the day after a workout and i'm wondering i'm still building muscle and getting stronger even if i didn't lift heavy enough in the previous workout.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

See, thats where youre making it difficult and your walking into a catch-22
You need to lift heavy often to make the the mass you gain is the kind you want, but you cant do that by just adding more heavy lifting to an already existing program, because recovery is just as, if not more important, and also because the program was put together as it was for a reason. So I guess you have to decide what means more to you.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
So what if i add 1 more deadlift a week on strength wods ? I mean if it says only 5x5 back squat for the strength wod, what happens if i do 5x5 back squat and 5x5 deadlift (or shoulder press etc depending on weekly schedule) ?
high rep light deads do wonders for my real delts. Something about holding a barbell for a long time just hits them really hard. With that said, don't go nuts with deads because it will affect your other days. Be smart about it and look ahead.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
high rep light deads do wonders for my real delts. Something about holding a barbell for a long time just hits them really hard. With that said, don't go nuts with deads because it will affect your other days. Be smart about it and look ahead.
Thanks, i will definitely try that since i've hurt my back when i was doing overhead squat and i'm so afraid that i'm no longer a fan of hitting my lower back with high weight-low rep combo.

Quote:
See, thats where youre making it difficult and your walking into a catch-22
You need to lift heavy often to make the the mass you gain is the kind you want, but you cant do that by just adding more heavy lifting to an already existing program, because recovery is just as, if not more important, and also because the program was put together as it was for a reason. So I guess you have to decide what means more to you.
Thanks. So i think i should try for at least a month and see what i can do, what i can gain with my current program without modifying it.