CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Abeli Shengelia
Member Abeli Shengelia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Moscow  Russian Federation
Posts: 37
WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Hi guys,i wanna lose about 8-10 lbs and i wanna ask u if u know some intensive WOD for that.btw what do u think about - clapping push up, box jump and jumping rope - 5 rounds?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

I think if you want to lose 8-10 lbs, the place to look is your diet and eating less, not necessarily a certain type of workout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
Abeli Shengelia
Member Abeli Shengelia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Moscow  Russian Federation
Posts: 37
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I think if you want to lose 8-10 lbs, the place to look is your diet and eating less, not necessarily a certain type of workout.
i mean not just to lose,but get ripped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Also mostly diet-related.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Sorry for being terse.

What I mean is, if you want to "get ripped," as in get skinny enough to be lean regardless of building muscle mass, you have to take in less than you burn. More diet-related than anything.

If you want to "get ripped," as in build muscle mass, it still comes down to diet, but you need to do more pure heavy lifting as opposed to any particular exercises in a conditioning workout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Phil Washlow
Member Phil Washlow is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester  IL
Posts: 306
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Jeff is 100% correct that diet is the most important thing when trying to lose fat and improve health. In terms of workouts don't think of it as calories burned during the workout but more as the calories burned recovering from the workout. That is why intense short duration workouts and heavy lifting work wonders for fat loss, they put a large stress on your body to recover. There is a video in the journal where they are testing the rq and VO2 max of julie foucher, in the video it is mentioned that 30 minutes of jogging will increase your fat burning and metabolism for maybe an hour after the exercise where a 10-15 minute bout of intense exercise will give you a dramatically longer period of increased fat burning and metabolism, I think it was something like 12 or 20 hours. Don't quote me on the figures it has been a long time since I watched the video.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Abeli Shengelia
Member Abeli Shengelia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Moscow  Russian Federation
Posts: 37
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
Jeff is 100% correct that diet is the most important thing when trying to lose fat and improve health. In terms of workouts don't think of it as calories burned during the workout but more as the calories burned recovering from the workout. That is why intense short duration workouts and heavy lifting work wonders for fat loss, they put a large stress on your body to recover. There is a video in the journal where they are testing the rq and VO2 max of julie foucher, in the video it is mentioned that 30 minutes of jogging will increase your fat burning and metabolism for maybe an hour after the exercise where a 10-15 minute bout of intense exercise will give you a dramatically longer period of increased fat burning and metabolism, I think it was something like 12 or 20 hours. Don't quote me on the figures it has been a long time since I watched the video.
by saying intense exercises you mean only gymnastic(with your own weight like jumps,push ups,burpee,etc) and without weight lifting/cardio i guess?

Last edited by Abeli Shengelia : 10-18-2013 at 10:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Greg Togtema
Member Greg Togtema is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto  ON
Posts: 53
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Avoid WODs that burn you out in the first 2 minutes.

Try a 10 minute WOD, and repeat it two more times, with a good 3-5 minutes of rest in between. Scale the weights down in the WOD so you are not burnt out the first round. First round = smooth and controlled, second round = build your effort, third round = best effort.

This is my attempt at creating such a WOD.
10 burpees, 50 wall balls, 20 burpees, 40 wall balls, 30b, 30wb, 40b, 20wb, 50b, 10wb.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeli Shengelia View Post
by saying intense exercises you mean only gymnastic(with your own weight like jumps,push ups,burpee,etc) and without weight lifting/cardio i guess?
What makes you think that?

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Mike Donalds
Banned Mike Donalds is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa  FL
Posts: 80
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy..there's a lot of us! Kyle Malikowski Starting 8 06-13-2009 01:40 PM
underwear burn?!? James lee Injuries 25 09-02-2008 06:29 AM
Burn out? Kevin M Nord Community 9 04-11-2008 01:13 PM
PVC just got a whole lot better Jeremy Jones Equipment 7 12-27-2005 03:15 PM
MMA + WOD = A LOT OF WORK!! chad hamzeh Fitness 0 06-05-2003 02:20 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.