CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Heavy Metal - Carl's New Log

Since December 2011 I've been using a minimalist strength training program inspired by Pavel Tsatsouline's Power to the People, minus a brief stint (a few weeks on the 3 to 5 program). I came across the 5,3,2 rep scheme from the Russian version of the book last year and tried it for a couple 8-16 workout series, finding it quite good for volume at sets across without wearing me out.

The 5,3,2 version thread is linked here: The Russian 5,3,2 Program (W/F/S)

My basic program is built around the 'big 4' with 2x high intensity conditioning sessions a week.:

1. Bench Press
2. Squat
3. Deadlift
4. Press

I generally do my pressing movements by cleaning them off the floor before each set. Having read Mark Rippertoe's T-Nation article on the Press (N/W/F/S) , I found it a good way to also work on my power clean at the start of each of my press sets.

The title for my log was inspired by the Don Felder song 'Takin' a Ride (W/F/S) from the movie Heavy Metal, a favorite pre-lifting/WOD song for me.

Today's Workout:

Press @ 115 lbs: 5,3,2
Deadlift @ 300 lbs: 5,3,2
Weighted Pullups @ 25 lbs: 10,7,5,3,2

Conditioning Workout:

10 Minutes AMRAP:

40' Farmer's Walk at 60 lbs
5 x Plate Situps @ 45 lbs
3 x Scotty Bobs @ 60 lbs

I accomplished three complete rounds and 1 x 40' farmer's walk.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Richard Macaulay

Profile:
Re: Heavy Metal - Carl's New Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Since December 2011 I've been using a minimalist strength training program inspired by Pavel Tsatsouline's Power to the People, minus a brief stint (a few weeks on the 3 to 5 program). I came across the 5,3,2 rep scheme from the Russian version of the book last year and tried it for a couple 8-16 workout series, finding it quite good for volume at sets across without wearing me out.

The 5,3,2 version thread is linked here: The Russian 5,3,2 Program (W/F/S)

My basic program is built around the 'big 4' with 2x high intensity conditioning sessions a week.:

1. Bench Press
2. Squat
3. Deadlift
4. Press

I generally do my pressing movements by cleaning them off the floor before each set. Having read Mark Rippertoe's T-Nation article on the Press (N/W/F/S) , I found it a good way to also work on my power clean at the start of each of my press sets.

The title for my log was inspired by the Don Felder song 'Takin' a Ride (W/F/S) from the movie Heavy Metal, a favorite pre-lifting/WOD song for me.

Today's Workout:

Press @ 115 lbs: 5,3,2
Deadlift @ 300 lbs: 5,3,2
Weighted Pullups @ 25 lbs: 10,7,5,3,2

Conditioning Workout:

10 Minutes AMRAP:

5 x Plate Situps @ 45 lbs
3 x Scotty Bobs @ 60 lbs

I accomplished three complete rounds and 1 x 40' farmer's walk.
Hey Carl. Good to see you around.

Care to divulge anymore information about where you are taking your programming from etc. You have always had interesting training and I like the fact its easy on your joints.

Richard
Old 05-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Richard, to answer your questions:

1) Most of my programming has come from reading a lot of Pavel Tsatsouline's books, articles from StrongFirst.com, and a commonality I've noticed with all the great barbell programs.

- The commonality I mention is a focus on the most basic of lifts.

2) I also did read Dan John's Easy Strength, Intervention, and Never Let Go. All three of these were quite enlightening.

3) Few things very well (using the big 4 for strength) and sport specific conditioning (in my case moving heavy things, and running sprints).

4) Having recently recovered from a sprained ankle during my unit's pre-Sapper program I'm working towards doing one of Andrey Kochergin's running protocols for baseline unloaded running (building up to 5 easy 2 km runs a week and from there branching out to 2 x 10km runs a week, in both cases keeping my heartrate below 2/3 of my maximum heartrate).
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Due to time constraints (studying for a test) I didn't have time to run today. I wound up doing several sets of 20 pushups throughout my study time as breaks.

Pavel once said: "To endure strength one must first be strong."

I agree, but I figured I'd use some time to get some strength endurance work in. Today it was 6x20 pushups.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Bench Press @ 175 lbs: 5,3,2
Squat @ 175 lbs: 5,3,2
Ring Pullups: 3 Ladders of (1,2,3 reps apiece).
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Had a pretty bad day, which necessitates me retaking a test I failed by three points. I did a short little workout to cool my jets before spending my night studying for tomorrow's retest.

Kettlebell clean and press (each arm):

1 x 5 @ 35 lbs
1 x 5 @ 45 lbs
1 x 2 @ 60 lbs

6 x Strict Pullups

Kettlebell Clean and Press (Each Arm):

1 x 2 @ 35 lbs
1 x 2 @ 45 lbs
1 x 1 @ 60 lbs

6 x Strict Pullups
Old 05-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Carl Amolat

Profile:

The retest went well, and to celebrate I knocked out the following workout. I went with a midcycle break (i.e. instead of continuing to 305 lbs for deadlift and 120 lbs for press I backed off earlier than intended).

Press @ 105 lbs: 5,3,2
Deadlift @ 290 lbs: 5,3,2
Ring Pullups: 3 x (1,2,3,4)
Old 06-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Yesterday: Rest

Today: Variety Workout

3 x (1,2,3)

- Kettlebell Clean and Press @ 16kg
- Pullup
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Bench Press @ 180 lbs: 5,3,2
Squat @ 180 lbs: 5,3,2
Weighted Pullup Ladders @ 25 lbs: 1 x (1,2,3,4,5)
1 x (1,2,3,4,4)
1 x (1,2,3,3)

Conditioning:

The Litvinov Workout (Kettlebell Version)

3 Rounds of:

15 x Kettlebell swings @ 24KG
400m Run

To do three rounds took me 9:47 (minutes:seconds) in which my heartrate hit 180 beats per minute, which is 93.9% of my Maximum Heart Rate for my age. And for a less quantitative and more qualitative two factors it was short and it was quite intense (I was lying on my back breathing hard for a few minutes afterward).
Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Carl Amolat

Profile:

My ankle was sore a bit, so running was out of the option. I rolled two dice and came out with a six.

Kettlebell Snatches @ 16KG for six minutes: 115 repetitions.