CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #21
Sean Rooks

Profile:
Re: The importance of 3 in 3x5

I'm not disagreeing with Preliphen since he certainly knows more than me, but this seems contrary to all the 5x5 intermediate programs that are so popular.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
I'm not disagreeing with Preliphen since he certainly knows more than me, but this seems contrary to all the 5x5 intermediate programs that are so popular.
I don't think it's a right or wrong thing, just different approaches. I personally don't like the 5X5 approach because I think the volume is is a bit much to recover from but it clearly works for some people. My personal observation for inter-adv lifters is that arounds 30 reps per week of any given lift is just about right which works out to 2 days of 3X5 per lift (5X3 for the oly stuff).
Really, with intermediate and advanced lifters, you are trying to figure out ways to break through plateaus. A 3X5 is a 3X5, it places a certain amount of stress on the body. Just doing it over and over again in the wrong type of program won't get you anywhere. At a certain point sets, reps, loads and anything else you can think of needs to jumbled around to prevent G.A.S. (general adaptation syndrome) Nobody wants gas!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #23
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
I don't think it's a right or wrong thing, just different approaches. I personally don't like the 5X5 approach because I think the volume is is a bit much to recover from but it clearly works for some people. My personal observation for inter-adv lifters is that arounds 30 reps per week of any given lift is just about right which works out to 2 days of 3X5 per lift (5X3 for the oly stuff).
Really, with intermediate and advanced lifters, you are trying to figure out ways to break through plateaus. A 3X5 is a 3X5, it places a certain amount of stress on the body. Just doing it over and over again in the wrong type of program won't get you anywhere. At a certain point sets, reps, loads and anything else you can think of needs to jumbled around to prevent G.A.S. (general adaptation syndrome) Nobody wants gas!
I see what you are saying, and completely agree on the 5x5 front. I never cared for texas method, starr, etc...

30 reps/week of loading >80% is exactly what it takes for me to make progress.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
Martin Bauer

Profile:

Quote:
I see what you are saying, and completely agree on the 5x5 front. I never cared for texas method, starr, etc...

30 reps/week of loading >80% is exactly what it takes for me to make progress.
In my opinion you are still a novice as long as you make progress with 3x5 two times a week.

Imagine someone doing SS 3 times a week, so 3 times 3x5 and he stops making progress and switches to 3x5 two times a wekk? This simply won't work in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #25
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bauer View Post
In my opinion you are still a novice as long as you make progress with 3x5 two times a week.

Imagine someone doing SS 3 times a week, so 3 times 3x5 and he stops making progress and switches to 3x5 two times a wekk? This simply won't work in my opinion.
I think most people around here, myself included, are novices much longer than they think. You may not be making progress with 3x5's, but if you can be adding >5lbs/wk to your lifts, you're a novice.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #26
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bauer View Post

You have to look at this in the context of the whole program, you may back squat 3x5 two days a week, front squat 3x5 two days a week, Clean 5x3 two times a week, snatch/clean pull 5x3 twice a week. All of a sudden you have a very high volume of total lifts (this does not include going overhead, bench, etc.). Again, programming for more experienced lifters can get incredibly complex. Depending on what you're training for, who fast you recover and a thousand other factors you could potentially be doing much higher or much less volume.

... wasn't this thread supposed to be about why the "3" is important in 3x5? The point is, the 3 is important no matter what level of lifter you are, a total of 15 reps in sets of 5 places a certain kind of stress on your body which it adapts to. When to use that kind of stress to increase strength varies depending on what level of lifter you are.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #27
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
I think most people around here, myself included, are novices much longer than they think. You may not be making progress with 3x5's, but if you can be adding >5lbs/wk to your lifts, you're a novice.
This is exactly why I was wondering about this. I did SS for awhile, stalled, then did CFFB and now I'm stalling on all my lifts (can only hit partial reps) and am making really slow progress. I might just go back to SS since it's been so long but I dont know if I'm still a "novice" and if SS would work.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
This is exactly why I was wondering about this. I did SS for awhile, stalled, then did CFFB and now I'm stalling on all my lifts (can only hit partial reps) and am making really slow progress. I might just go back to SS since it's been so long but I dont know if I'm still a "novice" and if SS would work.
I personally think that SS or any other novice progress usually stalls not because the person has truly exhausted their gains, but because they are satisfied with the weight they have gained and want to stop the fat gain. In hindsight, I could have progressed much farther with SS than I did.

I personally stopped making progress on 3x5's, but I probably could have continued progress on 5x3's for quite a while. That's still novice progress. The real shame is that when you are still a rank novice you don't have the sense to know how to manipulate variables until you've truly milked it for all it's worth.

Last edited by Sean Rooks : 12-01-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #29
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
I personally think that SS or any other novice progress usually stalls not because the person has truly exhausted their gains, but because they are satisfied with the weight they have gained and want to stop the fat gain. In hindsight, I could have progressed much farther with SS than I did.

I personally stopped making progress on 3x5's, but I probably could have continued progress on 5x3's for quite a while. That's still novice progress. The real shame is that when you are still a rank novice you don't have the sense to know how to manipulate variables until you've truly milked it for all it's worth.
Perhaps, but I am definitely not satisfied with my lifts. Im 20-30# shy of a double BW deadlift and Ive been trying to get it for awhile now. Im OK with fat gain and am eating 6 eggs plus a 1000 calorie smoothie right now. I agree that it's a shame novices have such potential and little ability to tweak things..that probably applies to me too, haha