CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:
Rippetoe works! Just did previous 1 rep max for 3 reps!

After doing SS for a few months, I switched over to the intermediate program from Practical Programming. The way I had it set up, I did the 3 sets of 5 on Mondays, did a lighter set on Wednesdays, and tried for a 3 rep max on Fridays (focusing on Squat, Shoulder Press, Deadlifts, Pull-ups).

(I do CF metcon workouts on T/Th)

I'm amazed at how much progress I've had. I wish I had discovered this when I was a teenager, rather than wasting my time on crap bodybuilding workouts like "Massive Muscles in just 10 weeks."

I was just reviewing my workout log, and realized that on Friday, I did 305 pounds for 3 reps on my squats. That was my previous PR for the last time I did a CF total 3 months ago. Cool! That means the next time I do a CFT, I can increase the weight quite a bit.

Anyway, even with rather intense metcons twice a week, the intermediate program from Rippetoe's Practical Programming allows for steady gains. Thank you Rip!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Re: Rippetoe works! Just did previous 1 rep max for 3 reps!

Nice job...even more impressive considering you are doing 2 CF wods as well...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Yeah. I make sure the metcons on T/Th don't use heavy weights (the occasional Kettlebell swings or snatches, but usually with high reps), so I'm not interfering with the strength component. I know I could probably increase my strength faster if I did just the Rippetoe, but I like it this way. The "light(er)" day on Wednesday helps, though. In Practical Programming, he says the middle to day is to keep the metabolic/neurological pathways, but not to push yourself too much the M/F days are for that.

So, if I wasn't doing the mix of PP/Metcon, I might go a little heavier on Wednesdays, but since I'm mixing the two (at least until I get a 550 lbs. Deadlift and 440 lbs squat), having a somewhat light Wednesday helps keep the gains going, by allowing for recovery while still maintaining the right pathways.

I doubt I'll ever get to a 3x bodyweight deadlift doing this, but I am aiming for 2.5x bodyweight.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Nice work, Ivan!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Dan Lehman

Profile:

Quick question for you Ivan...I am a high school girls basketball coach who has been crossfitting myself for just over two years. I personally have never utilized either of the Rip programs. I have two girls who are interested in improving their strength for next year. I like your SS on M/W/F and CF metcon on T/Th set-up. You mention that you wish you had started this earlier in your life. What are your thoughts regarding starting these young ladies on this program?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Dan,
You could probably ask Rip directly on his forum over at ************.com. Nothing against Ivan of course.

I think Rip coaches a lot of kids, so he'd probably be all for it. But he does answer all the questions he gets over there, amazingly.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

yeah - I think asking Rip would be best. It sounds like a great idea, but I'm not an expert. I've just found something that works really well for me at this stage in my life.

(incidentally, I just did 315 for 3 reps on the squat this week).
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

I would also add that I didn't do metcons on T/Th when I did Starting Strength over the summer. I think the "light" day in the middle of the week on the Intermediate program from Practical Programming makes it possible (for me, at least) to do the metcons on T/Th. On SS, when I was increasing weight every workout, I think metcons on T/Th would have really stalled my progress.