CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:
Urbanathlon Sold Out. Making my own race

I was planning on competing in the NYC Urbanathlon (wfs) on a relay team with some friends, but it is sold out. So I'm thinking of putting together my own small unsanctioned event in Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

The loop in the park is about 3.4 miles. Here are some maps (wfs). On top of running the loop I think we'll mix in 3 or 4 other obstacles/challenges. One of those challenges will probably be a sandbag carry. There are several pull-up bars around the park, but we can't count on them being unused. Any suggestions for designing the course or organizing the event in general? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Ewen Roth

Profile:
Re: Urbanathlon Sold Out. Making my own race

Sold out already?

Maybe the local affiliates can help organize something.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:

Maybe this should be under Competitions. I put it under fitness because I'm looking for "homemade" challenges to replicate those in the urbanathlon.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I'm totally up for it, just as long as it's not the same date as the Urbanathalon.

I had to decide between doing the Urbanathalon or my first Ultramarathon and they were both the same weekend. Somehow the Ultra seemed so much more enticing.

I go to Fordham Univ. in Manhattan so anytime in the fall I would be up for a nice CF challenge of some sort. I don't belong to any affiliates so I hope that won't be a problem.

I would like to see something crazy that would take around 1 hour. Something with a heavy endurance component ( at least running 5K, maybe 10K ) but along with a significant strength component, like sandbags as you said. Muscle-ups onto Grand Army Plaza?

Built-in challenges are a little tough without much equipment, unless you are planning on getting some help from local affiliates there. I don't know how keen the NYC Parks Dept would be on allowing tubes to climb through and walls to scale into the park. But with minimal equipment you could do stretches of the course with only walking lunges, bear crawls, running backwards, burpee-jumps, handstand walks, etc.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Jessica Lasky

Profile:

Hey-a few of us cf's from Albany are coming down to the do Urbanatholon but I know a lot of people that were bummed they closed registration already...Keep me posted if you decide to create another race and I'll let them know.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Adam Bonfiglio

Profile:

Was really bummed to see the Urbanathlon sold out! Been training my butt off for this thing! Would love to join your race! Please keep me posted!
Thanks!
Adam
Old 08-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Adam Bonfiglio

Profile:

Hi Benjamin.....
I have been training hard for the Urbanathlon as well, and was really disappointed to see it was sold out. I am VERY interested in participating in your race if you decide to do it. Please let me know!
Thanks!
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Walsh View Post
I was planning on competing in the NYC Urbanathlon (wfs) on a relay team with some friends, but it is sold out. So I'm thinking of putting together my own small unsanctioned event in Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

The loop in the park is about 3.4 miles. Here are some maps (wfs). On top of running the loop I think we'll mix in 3 or 4 other obstacles/challenges. One of those challenges will probably be a sandbag carry. There are several pull-up bars around the park, but we can't count on them being unused. Any suggestions for designing the course or organizing the event in general? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Any updates on this?