CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Andrew Gray

Profile:
What is the scoop on canned vegitables? I know they are not as good as fresh but how good/bad of a substitute are they? Perishability is one of my biggest obstacles in eating well.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I used canned olives, roasted pepper(pimentos?) artichokes and hot peppers in my salads from time to time. Otherwise I try to use fresh. Fresh is usually best, then frozen, then canned, both nutrionally and from a taste/texture viewpoint.. In certain cases froozen may be beeter than fresh depening on picking, handling shipping and delivery. Dried can also be good in certain cases for taste, i.e. tomatoes and some mushrooms.

At the end of the day any veggies are batter than none at all.

Ger
Old 08-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
Troy Archie

Profile:
Fresh is best but like Ger said, it's better than no veggies or eating cake and ice cream.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
John Alston

Profile:
fOZen veggies are way better nutritionally than canned - about as good as fresh for nutrients.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
Steven C. Herndon

Profile:

I was under the impression that canned and especially frozen were better than fresh. The reason being that "fresh" was picked before being ripe, to allow for the product to continue to ripen in shipping, and therfore absorbing less sunlight and nutrients from the soil. Canned and frozen were harvested when ripe, and usualy canned/frozen on or near the farm with less travel time. Just look at the ingrediants on the can and try to pick something with next to no added crap. I could have misunderstood my facts though.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I just bought some canned veggies the other day because they are cheap, easy (no cooking), and they won't go bad on me. None of them have anything added other than the water they are packed in. What I really want to know is will I notice any difference at all in my general health and/or performance between eating fresh/canned (I don't like most frozen veggies).
Old 08-06-2005, 03:47 AM   #7
Steven C. Herndon

Profile:

Andrew, I am not as knowlegable as some on this site about nutrition, but I would think that as long as you are making sound choices, the fresh,frozen,canned debate is a mote point, especially if they fit your ability to store/cook/afford them. Definatly better choice than Ramen noodles!
Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Steven,

I too have heard that certain canned/frozen vegetables may contain a higher nutritional content for exactly the reasons you state. I can cite a source for this, too: Dr. Dean Edell (www.healthcentral.com or catch his radio show). He's mentioned this numerous times on the air and in his book.