CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I got a couple of "notices" from friends lately regarding my everyday use of tuna (1.5 can with my lunch salad) and the supposed mercury scare.

What's your take on this? I googled "Dangers of canned tuna" and came up with this link:

http://www.bodybuildingapplied.com/i....asp?newsId=33

I'd really hate to not eat tuna everyday at lunch...
Old 04-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/fishadvice/advice.html
Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Dan Silver

Profile:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/9043.gif

-D.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Graham Tidey

Profile:
They mention that canned tuna isnt likely to have high levels of mercury in. This is probably especially so as high levels of mercury are found in "longer-lived" fish, as they put it. The tuna that goes into tinned tuna won't have been alive very long and certainly won't be the nice, big, fat, old and well-fed tuna they used to prepare the steaks you get served in a resteraunt. Therefore I'm not worried at all. Just one of the many advantages of over-fishing the seas.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Brad, Dan and Graham, thx for the responses.

These lead me to my next question...

Especially during the summer, we here consume quite a bit of fresh fish like gilthead, grouper, blackfish, flounder, octopuss, lobster etc. apart from shellfish, sea urchins and all the smaller delicacies.

The majority of these fish are about 3 Kilos on average and are usually fished around the Aegean ,Ionian, Cretan seas. i.e.= Closed seas.

I assume therefore that the combination of their relatively small size and the restricted space in which they live in presents less danger than fish that live in more open waters-right?

(Pheeww....Now that Tuna is safe, I look forward to preserving my rights to weekly tavern feasts in the summer :proud:)
Old 04-07-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Aiii from Greece. Look at those meals! Can you say "lucky bastard"?

Flounder, octopuss, lobster etc don't feed on other fish as far as I'm aware. Grouper do, I think, I really can't remember, though I definitley remember seeing them eating coral. Gilthead and blackfish I'm not familiar with. If it's a 3kg grouper (I'm trying to picture a 3kg dumbell here) it won't be that large. I've seen many grouper around the 6kg mark scaring my customers. Therefore it is probably still quite young or certainly not in an area where there is an abundance of smaller fish for it to feed on.

I'd be more worried about the crap that the fishermen spill into the water every day than what the fish consume from their diets. Lead in the water, chemicals, rubbish, all that stuff is probably far worse. Certainly where I've been.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Hmmmmm,
Always thought the biggest danger of eating canned tuna was the smell!!!
I'm sticking with peanut butter!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Graham-what do you do for a living if you don't mind my asking?:happy:

As far as the source and method used to fish my fish, I am pretty aware of what's going on. Apart from fishing it myself, it usually comes from people I know or tavernas of considerable repute!:happy:

The "stuff" you mention was most usually ammonia around here although that practice, along with dynamite and all the other various stupid "tricks" has pretty much faded out.

Here's what a blackfish, called "rofos" in Greek looks like:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/9076.jpg

These are some of the best prey for speargunners as their intellect present a special challenge. Unless you catch them out on a stroll, what these suckers do, is sit outside their hole with just their head being outside the shadow (still not out of the hole though). As soon as you shoot they swell up their entire body in order to jam themselves into the hole. The whole trick is to carry a short-roped spear and pull hard right after you shoot him.

I don't know if they can be found near Mexico (rocky) but if you can get ahold of them they make terrific soup!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 AM   #9
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Claro que sim!

I'm a divemaster, though I'm becoming an english teacher very soon.

See that pic of that fish? Looks nice there doesn't it? Thats why I became a divemaster.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:42 AM   #10
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Alex -
If you post any more photos of my Mother-in-Law on the beach you will be taken to court!!

DanO