CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
David Stout

Profile:
OK I am searching through threads trying to read up, but would still appreciate any responses. Thanks.

I plan on completing the WOD first thing in the morning when I get up. What is the general concensus regarding eating prior to? Do most folks who do Crossfit this way need a shake or some kind of food prior to? Or do they tough it out till their done and then go eat breakfast?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Timothy Cox

Profile:
I tough it out most of the time, but if I was going to eat, I'd probably eat some oatmeal.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Strictly from a physiological perspective the best 'fuel' is some kind of simple juice (1/2 a cup) about 30 minutes prior to working out. Muscles need glucose and glycogen to work longer than 10 seconds or so and only have a very short supply (ATP-creatine phosphate) stored up. Juice or other low glycemic things like liquid meals that are easy to breakdown quickly provide muscles with their desired energy. Remember it takes from 1 to 4 hours to fully digest anything complicated (i.e. not simple sugars) and so most of what you might reach for in the am isn't going to give you any muscle fuel.

(Message edited by Send513 on May 11, 2007)
Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Rob McBee

Profile:
Double espresso and glass of water 30-45min prior.

BCAA's + glutamine mixed in water after.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
David, I am one of those people that eats on the way to the gym regardless if it is an early morning workout or afternoon workout!

Before my morning CF workouts I eat:

1 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup berries
1/2tbs almond butter
pinch cinnamon
1/2 scoop whey protein powder

mix it all up and it is yummy, keeps me full but is not too heavy.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Cal Jones

Profile:
I can't eat before any workout, period. If I'm hungry and it's a weights workout, I'll have an Innocent smoothie (a 250ml smoothie made from pureed fruit, no additives or even concentrates). If it's a metcon or aerobic workout, I'll just put up with the hunger for the short time that it lasts and get something when I return home.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I am looking for the most out of my performance each time I go to the gym, and I find being hungry does not allow me to perform my best. When you wake your body is in a fasting mode and at that point your body wants to conserve as much as possible. The theory follows that if you then put it under a great deal of stress, a CF WOD, it will do so at its very minimal ability. Your body responds to training in proportion to the stress placed upon it. If my body is in a state of optimal output, I can have a greater stress placed upon it for that workout, and thus maximize my gains for said workout.

Before any workout I try to eat about an hour before, being sure to get a balance of carbs, protein and fat. I don't workout first thing in the morning often, but when I do I still follow the hour rule. I wake up and eat immediately, then get to the gym about an hour later. I don't eat a lot at that point, and definitely not enough to make me feel "full", but I don't often eat til I'm full anymore anyway. I eat and feel satisfied but don't have the heavy feeling in my stomach.

I have lost an inch from my 32 waist in the two months of crossfitting without losing a pound. I have seen a noticible increase in my muscle mass and reduction of body fat. I have done this while eating more food than I ever have, I just eat more often but fewer calories at eat actual "feeding". Mind you, I have yet to start counting anything I eat. I think once I start to notice plateau's I'll check it out, but for now I'm making huge gains and not having to count calories, blocks, grams or anything like that. I just eat and read my body.

Hope this helps
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
I eat a two block meal 1/2 hour before I work out. Standard meat, nuts and fruit. The fruit gives me the carbs fast that I need. Veggie carbs dose not provide me with the energy I need and my work out suffers. Any more food and I feel ill. I drink from a gallon of water with one package of Gookinaide electrolite mix while working out. It also has some carbs and I will hit up on this if I am dragging.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
I'm up at 5.15am, leave home about 5.30am and working out around 6am.

I have a 250ml glass of 100% juice with some glucosamine/chrondroiton/msm and some fish oil tablets before leaving home and down a mug of tea on the way to the gym.

While I'm training I'll drink an electrolyte drink. I follow up my workout with a protein shake.

I've been training in the mornings for about 18 mths and have found this works for me. I don't have the time or the appetite for anything more and I find this gives me sufficient energy to get through my training without feeling sluggish. I have tried training without eating/drinking anything before and I felt like crap. I have also tried downing a Meal Replacement Shake before training and this worked, but got too expensive.

All that said, I suggest; try a few different things, keep note of what works for you and do that. No one knows you better than you and what works for me, won't necessarily work for you.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
David Stout

Profile:
Awesome!

Thanks everybody for the replies.

David.