CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Austin Cooper

Profile:
Help w/ Good strength program

Id like some suggestions on a good strength program to get on. My friend wants me to get on the russian squat cycle with him but im not sure i want to do only squats for 6weeks. Id prefer a program with Oly lifts/dead lifts/squats. My workout routine as of now is, i try to do a metcon 3-5 times a week (mon-fri), and i will try and do one or two lifts before or after the metcon, unless the WOD has heavy lifting in it. When i lift i usually do either 3x5 at around 60-70% 1RM or 5x3 80-90% 1RM. I have no clue if these are good rep schems as i just kinda go off what we did for football in HS. I also have PT with my marine nrotc unit MWTH at 0600 and that usually is running with maybe some bodyweight exercises. My goal is to get my power clean, dead lift, and squat max up while not having to quite the metcons. My 3mile time is at 18:46 and i dont wanna get slower by doing strictly lifting. Any help would be great, thanks.

My 1RM as of May are as follow:
Dead Lift: 370
Bench Press: 205 (i never do BP)
Push Jerk: 195
Power Clean: 205
Squat: 275

i did all these in 2 days so if i took adequate rest they may have been higher

weight:160
height:5'9
Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Help w/ Good strength program

60-70% is an OK weight to start with 5x5, but then you need to start putting weight on the bar and slowly ramp up so that you get to 80-85%.

Read some stuff on 5x5 programs to such as articles by Bill Starr, read Starting Strength or google MadCow 5x5. That will give you good loading ideas for 5's.

Other good strength programs are Wendler 5/3/1, but you might have to do a lot of planning if you really want to include Oly work.

The Outlaw Way is a program that really merges Oly and strength work with metcons, so check that out.

Also CrossFit Fairbanks has a good mixed program and definitely check out CrossFit Football.

Honestly, if you are running several times a week and doing 3-5 metcons, it might be tough to put on weight on the bar and on your body. Most can make some gains with 3-4 strength workouts and 2-4 metcon or endurance sessions a week.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Dedicating 6 weeks to get your squat up is not that long of a period, it's just a mesocycle. I doubt you'd lose ANY speed and I bet your Oly lifts would improve at the stage you are currently at. Keep It Simple...
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Austin Cooper

Profile:

okay thanks for the help, ill check out that 5x5 stuff and might still consider the squat cycle