CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Matthew Regusci

Profile:
Should I Stop P90X and Start CF?

I'm out of shape and I just started P90X, and after two weeks of P90X I can now do a pull up. Since starting P90X, I found this board and I'm excited about starting Cross Fit.

My question is should I stick with P90X to the end (about 2 and a 1/2 months from now), or start with Cross Fit now? What would get me in shape the fastest?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
David Schneider

Profile:
Re: Should I Stop P90X and Start CF?

Hey Matthew,

I am assuming you had to buy some dvd's or something like that for the P90X, no? I would return those and put that money towards some equipment and start crossfitting, obviously you would want to start off slow and scale your CF workouts. However, I am not too familiar with the P90X and I am familiar with CF, so I am partial to CF. Maybe try some of the CF WOD's and read up on the main site and read as many posts from all the great people on this board, you can see if you might like CF.

I can tell you one thing for sure, the two and half months of CF that you will miss by doing something else will come back to haunt you once you do start CF'ing. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing the light earlier.

I'm sure other people on here will tell you to ditch the P90 but hey, it's really up to you.

Anyways, hope to see you CF'ing sooner than later.

Have fun, Train hard...

-David
Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Tim Newsome

Profile:

You're asking a kind of biased source here. Go with CrossFit. Read the FAQ (gold link up top), and start with a week of scaled workouts.

The P90X website says the key to their workout is to keep changing it up. CrossFit does that. It looks like P90X has exercises that target specific regions of the body. That's something we don't believe in here. Train all of it, all the time. (Sure, some days you'll feel your legs more, some days you'll feel something else, but we don't do something because it's great for muscle X. We do it because it's good for you as a whole.)

What kind of shape are you in now, and where are you looking to go?

Tim
Old 04-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Yes you should.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

Profile:

If it matches your goals then yes. And come experience a new world of hurt.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Jack Gayton

Profile:

I always get stuck on that infomercial.. The people on there are RIPPED. I mean scary shredded. No way are they getting that way without paying STRICT attention to diet. Just keep that in mind.

If you are thinking long term, which I think you should be, then you should come on over and get into CF. I can't imagine anyone not getting bored with dvd's after a certain amount of time.

That being said, I admire that you want to finish what you started. So, CF would be here when you're done too.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I'd say just switch and scale with BrandX.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
James Besenyei

Profile:

YES!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Nia Schmald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Regusci View Post
I'm out of shape and I just started P90X, and after two weeks of P90X I can now do a pull up. Since starting P90X, I found this board and I'm excited about starting Cross Fit.

My question is should I stick with P90X to the end (about 2 and a 1/2 months from now), or start with Cross Fit now? What would get me in shape the fastest?
I was in this exact same position a few months back. I had six weeks of P90x left when I discovered crossfit. Even though crossfit looked like the perfect program, exactly what P90x would have been if they didn't have to sell it on late night tv, and needed more equipment, I stuck with p90x to the end. My progress the last few weeks of p90x was minimal at best. Strength was my problem, sounds like it might be yours as well, and the 20 different types of push ups and pullups in p90x weren't helping much after a point. It also got horribly repetitive and boring.

After I finished I did a couple weeks of crossfit which totally killed me, but in a good way. I was having fun again and seeing gains. I still needed strength though so I switched to starting strength which I plan on doing til I plateau. Then I'll go back to crossfit.

That's my recommendation for you as well: at least 6 weeks of starting strength then crossfit. Its not that p90x is bad. Its just that crossfit is better.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Newsome View Post
The P90X website says the key to their workout is to keep changing it up. CrossFit does that. It looks like P90X has exercises that target specific regions of the body. That's something we don't believe in here. Train all of it, all the time. (Sure, some days you'll feel your legs more, some days you'll feel something else, but we don't do something because it's great for muscle X. We do it because it's good for you as a whole.)
That was... perfect.