CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Michael Hu

Profile:
Anyone with Ceiling problem?

Man, i would love to set up a bunch of stuff at my house, but all of the rooms, including the garage have low ceilings-- i can basically reach up with arms and touch the ceiling with my fingers. This is so frustrating, because I so want to set up a real pullup bar(like the ones at playgrounds) so i can do muscle ups and a few other variety of exercises.

On top of that, there's no way i could do thrusters =\

Does anyone have similar problems?

Another predicament for me is that i might move to an apartment in the future, so even if i build all of these equipments, but if i end up moving to an apartment next year, then all of these equipments are going to go to waste

what to do, what to do hehe
Old 04-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Nia Schmald

Profile:
Re: Anyone with Ceiling problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hu View Post
Man, i would love to set up a bunch of stuff at my house, but all of the rooms, including the garage have low ceilings-- i can basically reach up with arms and touch the ceiling with my fingers. This is so frustrating, because I so want to set up a real pullup bar(like the ones at playgrounds) so i can do muscle ups and a few other variety of exercises.
Yeah, I have the same problem. It's a drag but I work with it. I made a pullup bar out of black iron pipe and hung some wrings. I have to use them with my legs tucked under, which makes it a little harder to kip but at least I can do it. As far as the overhead lifts go I do those in the driveway just outside my garage. Plenty of head room in the open air. Good luck finding a place to use.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Michael,

Don't focus on what you can't do. Find out what you can do in the places you have, and find new places to do more.

My basement has a 225cm ceiling. All my MUs are from a kneeling position. For singles, it does not really matter that much. Once you are up and go into the transition, it is the same problem for all starting positions (unless you are able to jump through right from the start). The main problem is to be able to come down without touching the floor - this may take some control - then nothing stops you from consecutives.

For oly lifting, I focus on snatches (I can do these without touching the ceiling). Cleans are no problem, of course. Jerks are not really safe, but can be done (every once in a while). If I want to set a new max in Jerks, I need to get outside. Thrusters are out for me, too - I banged the bar as well as some dumbbells into the ceiling several times. Pullups - I installed a bar in the doorframe, works well for me.

Going outside to a playground with some dumbbells is really nice (apart from the stares you will get).

Dan John has some nice stuff on working outside ... see http://danjohn.org/getup.html.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 04-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I'm in the same boat. I don't have a garage, unfortunately, so my gym is in the basement. The ceiling is almost exactly 7 ft 4 in (225cm). I can probably get a decent wall-mounted pullup bar put in by drilling and bolting directly into the studs. What I really want to get is some rings though.

I just have no idea if rings are feasible under a ceiling that low.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Casey,

Yes, rings are feasible. I mounted my rings 50cm apart in the 225cm high concrete ceiling, with two 14mm safety bolts (like those used for playground swings). Using them for over 2 years now, no problems.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Awesome Christian, thanks. How high/low do they hang?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Casey,

my rings are adjustable (see http://www.ringtraining.com/eliteringssetup.pdf).

Three common height settings (I rarely use others):

- ankle high (for pushups and ab-wheel like movements)
- dip high (low part of ring fits just under armpit)
- MU high (low part of ring at nose height); allows for consecutives with legs folded and in support head still has some cm space from the ceiling (225cm)

So I think you could just use 3 nylon webbing pairs of different lengths, or make knots at those places, or ... you get the idea.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Easy day, thanks much.