CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Good place to start is here:
(w/f/s)
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=972

Right now IF is only in its infant stages with regards to mainstream acceptance. Although it will take sometime before more studies are done, there is ENORMOUS promise in this arena. So far my personal experience with IF and that of many others here and elsewhere has been very positive adding to the buildup of excitement.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:33 AM   #12
Daniel Miller

Profile:
The link Steve provided is a good intro.

I can also speak up for many of the counter-logical/intuitive aspects of thinking that IF would seriously hinder performance and also waste muscle. After reading more in my biochemistry texts and thinking about natural selective pressures acting on our genes/epigenes I began to see much more method behind this madness.

The first thing I'd say is that experience in this case is quite the trump card. I did not need to loose any weight when I began IF, on the contrary I've always been quite lean. My reasons for trying an IF protocol began with a desire to slow my metabolism down a bit and see if over a little time my body could harness it's natural ability to utilize ketones (a metabolic derivitive of fats breakdowns) as the main energy substrate for all tissues that can use them (brain, skeletal and cardiac muscle). This has yielded the personally objective results of being able to maintain max effort strength performance and moderate-effort sport performance (my sport is climbing). I would like to think that I'm more insulin sensitive, that there is less oxidative stress in my body, that my body can better utilize other mitogenic (things that help preserve and grow muscle) factors besides insulin (GH and IGF being the two big ones), and that I am intentionally providing a natural selective stress that my body is quite equipped to handle.

I personally eat a little less that I used to in my eating time periods but seem to be utilizing it better than I would be if I were eating say 6am-10pm (what I used to do). My feeding period is usually 10am or noon through 4pm or 6pm. Once or twice a week I'll do a 24hr fast and go 4pm-4pm.

Performance menu issues 6, 16, 19, and to some extent 17, 18, and 25 are all good reads. If you're interested read a biochem text or two noting especially the parts where they say that ketones are the preferred fuel source for the heart.

Hope this helps.
-Dan

Old 06-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Jason Steele

Profile:
I was skeptical at first, but I have been doing EOD for about three weeks now. My fear of no energy for evening workouts was completely unfounded, in fact I feel much more energetic throughout the day. I noticed the same thing that Daniel talks about, although I try to get all the food (I stopped with zone blocks a while ago, went more paleo "eater" in the parlance of Robb W.) I actually end up eating less without any signs of negative impacts. I am much more anal about taking my fish oil now though (anectodal evidence?)