CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Richard Chignell

Profile:  
I am running a marathon for charity. Can anyone advise of the best books for training

Thanks in advance

Richard
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Richard Chignell

Profile:  
Re: I am running a marathon for charity. Can anyone advise of the best books for trai

A little dissapointed! Normally a lot more informaion provided on here by knowledgeable people. I guess i will have to look elsewhere for this information.

Still loving Crossfit,

Richard
Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: I am running a marathon for charity. Can anyone advise of the best books for trai

Richard, scroll all the way down to the bottom and you'll see "similar threads." There are links to
"Running marathon in the zone?"
"Training for a marathon without running?" "
"Marathon training with Crossfit (and little running)"
and finally...
"FITNESS + TRAINING BOOKS..."

I suspect the search button would yield even more results.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Richard;
As mentioned, try the search function.
Also consider that CF'rs for the most part are not LSD advocates, so try Runners World, or check out Hal Higdon.
BTW, I've run over 15 marathons, will NEVER consider another one.

Jay
Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Richard:

What Gant and Jay said.

Also . . . give us a break? Your post went unanswered for all of six hours? (working hours in the US, where most of us live . . .)

If your goal is to merely survive it, I've been told (and it matches my limited personal experience) that we can usually run about 3 times further than our "regular" training runs . . . which implies that you need to get your regular runs up to about 8 - 10 miles (at least once a week, maybe even twice). If you have that as a base, you'll "survive" the marathon without undue damage to your system.

If your goal is to excel and/or thrive on the training for it, Jay's advice may be more relevant.

Even better, offer to do a prolonged "Cindy" for charity . . . how many rounds in an hour?

Last edited by David Wood : 09-09-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Richard Chignell

Profile:  

Chaps thanks for the advice and apologies for being short with you - must have been a bad day at the office.

Regards,

Richard
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:

With so many threads on this site, (and the fact that I actually have a life outside of Crossfit) sometimes I don't get to some of these posts until 2 days later after the original postings,...and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Anyway:
Don't worry, some of my threads don't get looked at right away either, so don't get discouraged.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Hal Higdon's plans are fairly well regarded. Maybe join something like coolrunning which is a forum just for runners?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Jason Steele

Profile:

Daniels' Running Formula by Dr. Jack Daniels
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Avid marathon here. My recommendation for good reads follow, I've taken something from each of them:

"Lore of Running" Noakes
"Running Within" Lynch/Scott
"Advanced Marathoning" Pfitzinger
"Marathoning" Bill Rodgers
"Daniel's Running Formula I/II" Daniels

Not a subscriber to the Galloway ideals. Sheehan's books are inspiring. Salazar is a warrior.

Cheers,
Mike