CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/41147.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/41148.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/41149.jpg

Great. Nike Zoom Waffles, $45.

Just over three weeks old. Had about 25 miles on them. I guess the problem is that most of those miles were on pavement. Seems like the shoe was not meant for a forefoot strike runner.

Now there's the decision between:
1. new, more durable shoes.
2. old, infinitely durable feet.
Suggestions?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Brendan Smith

Profile:
Those look like what I'd call track spikes (hence the threaded recesses for the actual spikes). I'm sure they are very light weight, too. They're made for racing on composite tracks and really can't stand up to the wear of road running.

Option 1 is legit. You can probably find decent road running shoes (will be heavier and have more cushion) for about that same price in many big box atheletic stores. They can typically last 6 months or more without difficulty.

If you really have a pronounced foot strike issue, a dedicated running store will have folks that can fit you with a shoe styled best for your feet. But, I suspect this was just an issue of terrain too rough for the equipment.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:
Track spikes for sure. The Pose method advocates a very thin soled shoe like the Nike Waffle (non-spike version) or some of the Pumas. They are basically flats or racing shoes but have been used sucessfully in the Pose method.
Other options would be a more traditional training shoe or possibly the Free's. I have flats that I wear for all the short (400m-800m) runs. I use trainers or Free's for the 5 and 10k's or outdoors when doing the WOD's. David.

(Message edited by sailorcrew on May 05, 2007)
Old 05-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Jason Steele

Profile:
I use a spike XC shoe version for running on roads (and paved trails), been using them for almost two years on a regular basis. That wear and tear that you are seeing is not that much and is only in the areas around the spike recesses. If the rest of the tread is keeping up, don't sweat it.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Jason, you've been using them for two years? I'm surprised you haven't worn all the way through the sole by now! So you think these shoes should be alright as long as the rest of the treads are holding up?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Jason Steele

Profile:
I looked at mine, they don't have the raised rim around the spike insert area. The tread has actually held up quite well, but the body of the shoe finally gave out. I bought a minimalist shoe from Brooks that has a little more back cushion but is as light as a track shoe. It still allows a Pose style but with a little more cushion for longer distances or more pavement running. I remember reading on the POSE site that shoes should last for years. Dunno, I found that there was little tread wear as I got better at form. I say keep going and find out how it works for you. If that is all the wear that you got after a few weeks then it should be fine.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Dunno, I found that there was little tread wear as I got better at form.
- Jason

Right now, my form is far from perfect, though I've been working on it. Forefoot striking, upper body leaning very slightly forward (but straight, not slouched), arms loose, swinging sort of behind the body, using the muscles in the hamstring to move the legs. When I get it right, it's like walking on water.

http://video.google.com/url?docid=695916904795262493&esrc=sr2&ev=v&q=Erwan +MN&vi durl=http://video.google.com/videoplay%3Fdocid%3D695916904795262493%26q%3DErwan % 2BMN%26hl%3Den&usg=AL29H22YErV5gJQuhQNNPMFe82fzpiE dTg
See the end of the video. (The guy is doing Methode Naturalle training, but wearing spandex shorts while doing so, so, safe link.)

I've heard about the Pose method, and looked at the site, but once it began to sound like a cult, I stopped reading. Is it anything like that?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Jason Steele

Profile:
Honestly Patrick, I don't really like giving props to Pose, I have real issues with the amount of money that they charge. I learned from Gordon Pirie's book, which is free online. The video shows a very similar posture to what I have been alluding to. The best way to simulate it is to run barefoot. It sounds like you are getting the idea!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
Jacob Egbert

Profile:
I agree with Jason. The Pose is a great method but really all of the "techniques" are about the same. I bought the book ChiRunning for like 14 bucks and it did the trick. I ignored half the book and just derived the running advice. I have been running injury free for about two years since.