CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Andrew Joseph

Profile:
Difference in ring muscle ups vs bar muscle ups

I've never been able to do a ring muscle up, even though I can do 3-4 MUs on a bar (split handles, so don't need to push out that far) and I can sink deep into ring dips or weighted ring dips. I'm assuming the strength is there but the technique isn't.

One issue I'm sure is that I don't know how to kip, even for a pull-up, and it hurts my shoulders just trying to kip--so if the answer is "you have to kip on rings" then I'm probably stuck. Is there something else that I should do different in my approach to doing ring MUs?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Difference in ring muscle ups vs bar muscle ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Joseph View Post
I've never been able to do a ring muscle up, even though I can do 3-4 MUs on a bar (split handles, so don't need to push out that far) and I can sink deep into ring dips or weighted ring dips. I'm assuming the strength is there but the technique isn't.

One issue I'm sure is that I don't know how to kip, even for a pull-up, and it hurts my shoulders just trying to kip--so if the answer is "you have to kip on rings" then I'm probably stuck. Is there something else that I should do different in my approach to doing ring MUs?
I am glad you can't kip. When I first learned the MUs it was strict. I think it is better to learn strict first instead of a crazy swing and mid air catch landing and hope your shoulders hold up.

Work the transition, get your body use to the transition.

WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6YPB5e6Ws8
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

Thanks for the response.

I don't want to give the impression that I can do a slow, controlled "gymnast-like" MU, even on a bar. I kick my legs up like I'm going to spike a volleyball or something, I just can't rock my head back and forth through my shoulder blades. Maybe, that's the worst of all ways to do it on rings?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You don't have to kip on rings. You can use a very small kip, which you will have to do if your shoulder flexibility is limited (so you won't be able to do a front uprise MU).

As for the ring mu, keep your elbows in and close and don't arch as you pullup. It is quite a bit different than on bar.

To note, I've never really done many kipping MU on bars...mainly because I tend to think of it as an aberration from a Gymnastics POV. I would rather just do a kip on HB than some fugly bent arm kip thing.

And I tend not to do the high rep gymnastics stuff anyways when it comes to kipping and upper body. My shoulders and elbow do not like.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Michael Cook

Profile:

Use a false grip and work on strict muscle up. Once you get that down really well, it is not too hard to add a little swing into it to make it easier.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
Use a false grip and work on strict muscle up. Once you get that down really well, it is not too hard to add a little swing into it to make it easier.
I know the general advice is a false grip, but how necessary is that? My grip strength and wrist flexibility is pretty good (much better than my shoulders) and I think I can handle the torque of turning them over. Does the false grip help with the arc of motion or is it only an aid for your grip?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
My grip strength and wrist flexibility is pretty good (much better than my shoulders) and I think I can handle the torque of turning them over
The false grip gives you something to push off since you are resting on your wrist.

Their really isn't any torque on your wrist you need be concerned with.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Gary Vermeulen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
Agreed, strict is much easier. Try going up in an L-sit, going as high as you can in the pull up part and then rolling forward using your legs to propel you forward. You just need to get one and your body will learn what you're trying to do when you have it, I would say technique wise the hardest thing to learn is when to transition, that's where you need to practice with assistance.

Good luck!