CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Jeremy Konieczny

Profile:
No progress!!!

I hope this is on the right forum didn't know whether to put it on Fitness or Exercises. Anyway, here I go...I started Crossfit a little over a year ago, and lost about 15 pounds (from 160 to 145) in a month and a half and in about 7 months I gained it all back and feel better now than I have in years. Problem is, I haven't had really any gains at all since then.

I am not as hardcore as most on here probably but my times seem to be where a lot of peoples are on this forum. I have come close to throwing up many a time but never have cuz I stop myself. If I start a workout and am way to sore to finish, I let my body rest that day and continue with the next WOD and try to skip a rest day if at all possible. I cannot do 1 freakin muscle up, my overhead squats suck, my flexibility is still terrible and it hasn't gotten better in about a year, I can't hardly ever do the actual weight that is on the WOD's, I hate using a wall for handstand pushups, my pullup number has been the same for about 7 months now. What's my deal? Am I at this big of a plateau? I have been following this program because plateaus should be nonexistent do to muscle confusion correct? What should I do?

I might need to add that I work out without a partner in a gym where people do 1 to 8 reps and stare at themselves in a mirror for 2 minutes and talk to people for another 5, so sometimes it is tough for me to go at the best pace, though it's not too often anymore cuz I have figured out when good times to go are.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Shawn Hansen

Profile:
Re: No progress!!!

Just off the top of my head, id be looking at sleep and nutrition. Are you getting a good 8 hours of sleep a night? If not your body may not be getting enough recovery time.

As for nutrition, you say your bodyweight is staying the same? Try upping the calories just a little bit. I know that when im in a caloric deficit or am just hovering at maintenance that i sometimes have trouble progressing. It usually signals to me that i need to get a little bigger before i get stronger.

Another idea would be to take some time off....take like a week of R&R. Especially if youve been CFing for a year straight.

Whats your diet like? Paleo/Zone/DriveThru (hah)?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

The possibilities are many, but I'd start with asking you to describe the following in painful detail:
  • Diet
  • Sleep habits
  • Your workouts; are you doing main page WODs or just making your own up?
  • Your scaling; what exercises do you have to scale, and how do you scale them? What (if anything) are you doing outside of the WODs to wean yourself off of the scaling?
  • Anything you do to practice/improve outside of the WODs
  • Your performance history gains; do you have times for workouts such as Fran, Helen, etc....? Crossfit Total history?
  • Vital stats: age, weight, etc... (maybe not important, but could be useful)
As someone who made the move this year from a globogym to an affiliate, I just can't speak highly enough for the value that being at an affiliate will have on your workouts. I was a very good athlete through high school and on into college, and I had lots of experience with having my physical limits pushed during training and competition. When I started doing CF-ish workouts at the globo, I did all that I could to try to again push myself to my limits, but I wasn't successful. Two reasons: (1) the logistics of trying to do WODs at a non-Crossfit gym made it darned near impossible to maintain intensity, and (2) though I thought I was pushing myself, I understand now (by being at an affiliate) that I get pushed much harder by those around me than I could ever push myself. Bottom-line for me is that I get great value from the combination of being able to follow excellent programming in a gym where the right gear is available exactly when I want it and where I get pushed like hell by the trainers and other members.

NOW, all that said, I must also acknowledge that I've only been at an affiliate for a little under three months, so I'm getting huge performance gains at a point where I darned well better be getting them. I'm not and haven't been in your plateaued shoes. Still, I stand by my comments re: benefits of being at an affiliate. I encourage you to check one out.

`Nuff rambling from me. Good luck.

- Mark
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Focus on one domain for a period of time. Work on gymnastics or the olympic lifts.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Take a good hard look at your programming and make sure you are not sub-consciously cherry picking or taking it easy. If you are, you will lose a lot of the training effect.

The other big one is the first thing others have mentioned. What's your diet? Even if you feel you're "eating healthy" it may not truly be a good diet to support your goals. Are you paleo and/or zone? If not, that's it.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
Are you paleo and/or zone? If not, that's it.
Not sure that I'd put it quite that way. If the diet is off, then that's going to be one of the contributors to the plateau, but there may very well be one or more other factors that are just as - or even more - problematic.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Remember that the workouts do not get any easier as you get better at them. In fact, people with sub-3:00 minute Fran times -- not me, so this is just secondhand -- report that doing it that fast (insert favorite not WFS expression here).

What this means is that you may be able to push harder than you actually are. Once you establish a comfort zone, it's very normal and very human to want to stay there. One of the benefits of training at an affiliate is that the coach and the people around you can encourage you to draw on reserves that you didn't know you had. No matter how self-motivated you are, it's very very difficult to replicate that on your own. Affiliates can also provide skill coaching, which is very helpful on movements -- like muscleups and the olympic lifts -- where technique is important for success.

I also agree with the people who suggest you look at diet, sleep, and other recovery issues. In particular, I see the lack of improvement in your flexibility as a red flag, indicating poor recovery, form issues, or both. Absent some structural issue, a year should be more than enough time to see noticeable improvement there. That you're not suggests that something is wrong.

Katherine
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Jeremy Konieczny

Profile:

First of all I want to say thank you for your responses, I feel extremely inferior to everyone on here, and that's why I usually don't post anything or any of my times. Second, I feel stupid but I have no idea what paleo or zone means and I suppose I can "painfully" describe what my diet is like, and sleep habits and so forth. I was also a good athlete I went to college a couple years for free because I played sports, though I still don't feel quite as in shape as I did when I played baseball. First of all I weighed more and my legs were a bit stronger.

I try very very hard to get 8 hours every night, my schedule fluctuates a little bit, but I still usually get 8 hours. My diet also fluctuates, and is probably not good. Um I can recall the last three days' meals:

Breakfasts: Saturday -- PBJ, banana, protein shake
Sunday -- 2 cake doughnuts (I know, I know)
Monday -- skipped (very very rare)

Lunch: Saturday -- Thai food (chicken, rice, and vegetables)
Sunday -- Two natural case hot dogs and baked chips
Monday -- Bacon cheeseburger, two tostadas, some chicken breast, fried green beans, a couple fries (yeah, I skipped breakfast so I was dying)

Dinner: Saturday -- Two bratwurst and potato and egg salad
Sunday -- Deer roast with potatoes, carrots, and white rice
Late night Sunday I ate McD's cuz of the girlfriend
Monday -- Thick pork chop, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, green beans
Late night Monday I again had a quarter pounder cuz of the ladyfriend

Now, whenever I am hungry I will eat. I will snack on granola bars or eat a banana or make myself a PBJ or something like that.

Also the week R&R, I have tried that a couple times, just seemed to set me back more.

What should I do then about flexibility? My dad can barely bend at a 90* sitting with legs out, and me barely touching my toes is phenominal compared to him.

I would love to become an affiliate. Problem is, there aren't any places around here that I know of. I feel as if I push myself hard enough, because usually my heart rate will consistently be up in the 175 area and I feel like vomiting often and can't do any of the workouts without stopping. Angie the other day, I can't do near 100 pullups, so I do as many as I can which is usually about 30 or 35 kipping (still) and wait 20sec to try to get in 15 to 20 more, then 20sec and 10 or 15 more, etc. Am I waiting too long (20sec is my rest time if I can't do anymore). I am always sore and feel like I should be getting stronger but when it comes down to it I am still weak and tiny.

Form on a muscle-up? My problem is that I get to the top of my pullup, and can't make the transition to the ring dip. I cannot pull myself high enough I guess. Instead of doing the muscle-ups yesterday I did 24 chest to bar (took 9 years for me to get done) and 24 ring dips. I have done one muscle-up in my life and my wrists and forearms were killing me after and couldn't do another one.

And I agree, my workouts really don't seem to get much easier at all, sometimes the running does, but I still end up on the floor or walking around like I am drunk until I hit the floor, pouring sweat.

One last thing and I am off to do the WOD and I will get back on to check for responses. I used to take a high calorie weight gainer/protein/creatine supplement, I stopped about a month ago. One serving was about 990cal I think. I didn't gain a pound and I took it after every workout. I haven't reloaded because it was rediculously expensive, was only like 24 servings in a massive jug, and I didn't get results. I feel like I have tried everything but the little oil based substance that goes in a syringe, but I am not about to do that to myself.

Last edited by Jeremy Konieczny : 01-05-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Konieczny View Post
My diet also fluctuates, and is probably not good.
Based on the diet that you were able to post, I'd say that that is definitely a starting point for you. It looks to me to be full of carbs, generally lacking high-quality protein, and put together quite at random. You need purpose, planning, and commitment in your diet.

Recommend that you look into the Zone and Paleo diets. Google is your friend here. There are books and websites available to get you started on each.

I'll let others jump in to comment on workout and flexibility.

- Mark
Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Eat. Eat so, so much more. And higher quality food, too. With purpose.

Also, being sore after a WOD is somewhat expected even as you get more and more elite, I think.