CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:
Lean meats...but bacon....

Coach Glassman and Wolf both say eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit little starch no sugar. They emphasize lean meats yet everyone here is crazy about there bacon including myself. Bacon is not lean so whats the dilly?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Re: Lean meats...but bacon....

Where have they emphasised lean meats?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:

in some of the nutrition videos in the journal....

...maybe im dreaming. tell me if i am.

Last edited by Jeremy Raffer; 08-03-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I'm pretty sure they just say meat, Dr. Sears is the one who emphasizes lean meats (I think, it's been awhile since I've read the Zone). Robb is big on fat, so there is no way that he would say something like that. Plus, bacon (along with other fatty meats) tastes amazing, especially in an omelette with sausage.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Mike Mallory

Profile:

the 'lean meats thing" is nonsense IMO........No primitive society selectively ate the lean portions, it would never happen
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Andy Tong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
the 'lean meats thing" is nonsense IMO........No primitive society selectively ate the lean portions, it would never happen
This is true, however, no primitive society ate caged animals. Find yourself a wild animal of some kind then that may be a similar comparison.

I'll still eat bacon because it's delicious but I personally keep it to a minimum.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Raffer View Post
Coach Glassman and Wolf both say eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit little starch no sugar. They emphasize lean meats yet everyone here is crazy about there bacon including myself. Bacon is not lean so whats the dilly?
Not sure about what is said in the videos but you're probably right. The Nutrition page talks about lean meats (see http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-diet.html WFS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I'm pretty sure they just say meat, Dr. Sears is the one who emphasizes lean meats (I think, it's been awhile since I've read the Zone). Robb is big on fat, so there is no way that he would say something like that. Plus, bacon (along with other fatty meats) tastes amazing, especially in an omelette with sausage.
I'm sure Robb eats bacon. I think lean meats are recommended because of the Zone ratios (see http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...y+prescription WFS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia
... Basically, I was curious as to why the Crossfit dietary prescription has changed from it's original form a while back. It used to go something like "Eat lean meats, vegetables, nuts and seeds, a little fruit, and no sugar". It now goes like this "Eat garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar". I was just curious why the fruit was removed from the equation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf
Hey Greg-
No clue as to the change. For glycemic control obviously that is a good move...it removes potentially significant levels of fructose which if weight loss is of paramount concern that might be good. Just keep in mind:
Meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, little starch, no sugar...although adequate to prevent metabolic derangement...these "paleo" foods CAN NOT BE EATEN IN A 40/30/30 RATIO.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Shaun Frankson

Profile:

I know for a fact Robb loves his bacon. He even recommends using the bacon grease in your eggs (It taste's amazing). The great thing with bacon is that it is something you can enjoyably eat in the morning without feeling like your eating dinner at 7 am.

IMO the lean meat thing comes from that dumb 80's-90's fat is evil campaign that many people have a hard time letting go of. Read Gary Taubes 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' if you want a good history lesson on how the bad fat campaign came around, and why it caused more health problems than ever.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Raffer View Post
"Lean meats" is still part of the CrossFit Dietary Prescription. Cordain also still recommends lean meat and cutting off visible fat...he is not a fan of saturated fat. This is a big point of disagreement between Cordain and WAPF.

I'm pretty sure that Robb W. says not to worry too much about fat especially if the source is grassfed (more favorable Omega fat ratio). This is more inline with WAPF.

Of course, they eat bacon...its an essential vitamin...try to get pastured pork/nitrate free.

Last edited by Rene Forestier; 08-04-2009 at 06:11 AM..
Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

The recomendation that you reduce your fat intake and choose lean cuts of meat whenever possible is good advice for a number of reasons and is well supported in the scientific literature.

Dietary Fat Intake and Regulation of Energy Balance: Implications for Obesity (wfs)