CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Matt Villano

Profile:
Starting Strength and Running

I'm looking for some insight into people who have done starting strength and mixed in running workouts on off days.

So after realizing that my strength needed some serious improvement I decided to start the starting strength program. I was doing crossfit WODs but found my strength lacking
my stats right now are 5'10" at about 170-175#.
after 2 weeks of following the program I'm at:
squat 175
bench 155
press 80
deadlift 190
and I'm still practicing my power cleans with the bar
Now obviously my goal is to gain strength but I'm not looking to get huge and add 50 pounds of muscle. I just think I need to gain some overall strength and get better at these core lifts. I understand that the program is meant to pack on weight and strength. I eat mostly paleo with some milk added.
At the same time I need to be preparing myself for 6 months in the state police academy (if the state budget ever gets worked out) which will undoubtedly include a lot of running, etc. With that being said I'd like to be strong but also have my running up to par.
I've read opinions that go both ways on whether you should be running while following this program. I know I need to let my body rest on this program but would running 2 (maybe 3 at most) days a week be leading to disaster? I'm thinking a few interval workouts would at least help. I have had some running injuries ("shin splints") a few months back which took me out of running for a long time before that but after physical therapy were taken care of I just don't want to get weak in that area again.
Sorry for the long explanation. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Cody Reis

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength and Running

I was trying to do something similar and posted this question as well recently. I was told that I wouldn't continue to see the performance I wanted because the SS program has the rest days for a reason. I decided to keep going until I saw it cause an issue, and it wasn't long after that I did. I would not recommend the running, you need the recovery. You will have better results if you keep your rest days restful
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Reis View Post
I was trying to do something similar and posted this question as well recently. I was told that I wouldn't continue to see the performance I wanted because the SS program has the rest days for a reason. I decided to keep going until I saw it cause an issue, and it wasn't long after that I did. I would not recommend the running, you need the recovery. You will have better results if you keep your rest days restful
Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

crossfit football
Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Matt, what kind of run is required for your academy test? Starting Strength, without the rest, will deflate any gains. You have enough time to do something like 3months of dedicated strength work, then program 3 months of strength+metcon (CFFB might work for you).
Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Matt Villano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Matt, what kind of run is required for your academy test? Starting Strength, without the rest, will deflate any gains. You have enough time to do something like 3months of dedicated strength work, then program 3 months of strength+metcon (CFFB might work for you).
Thanks everyone.
I actually already took the entrance physical exam so I could dedicate 3 months to strength work and then transition into CFFB.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Villano View Post
Thanks everyone.
I actually already took the entrance physical exam so I could dedicate 3 months to strength work and then transition into CFFB.
Just realize that your metcon abilities will go down. However, its easier to gain metcon ability than it is to gain strength. The strength will also hang around longer. In an ideal world, you'd hit the strength stuff until you were happy with the gains and then transition to a hybrid program of your liking.