CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Ryan Ragona

Profile:
Squats progressing past deadlifts in SS

Hi there,

I'm in week 3 of doing the Practical Programming version of Starting Strength, and as I'm only doing the deadlift once a week it's just not progressing that fast. I'm not really worried about the number, but at this point my squat is higher than my deadlift, and the DL's are just kinda easy.

I started my squat at 85 and I'm up to 210 now, and I started my DL at 135 and I'm up to 195 -- should I just go ahead and add more like 30+ lbs/week to the deadlift instead of 20 or whatever? Any advice there? They feel easy, but I don't want to injure myself.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: Squats progressing past deadlifts in SS

Well, if they feel really easy, then of course up the jumps, you're only wasting your time lifting too light of a weight.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Well, if they feel really easy, then of course up the jumps, you're only wasting your time lifting too light of a weight.
Easy enough. I guess I was just concerned that I was missing something. :P
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

practical programming really should be used for intermediates (meaning you have exhausted your linear progression). Why aren't you doing SS? You shouldn't be adding more than 10 or maybe 15lbs to DL's per workout until they start to get heavy then back to 5lb jumps. This would add up quickly if you were DL'ing 6x per month as opposed to 4 like you are now. Best piece of advice I can give you is slow increases in weight and making constant progress over a long period of time will be much more beneficial than throwing on too much weight too early and stalling repeatedly.

Last edited by Charlie Karnick; 04-07-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Cody Reis

Profile:

Same thing is happening to me on SS. Even on the original SS plan for every 4 days, you squat 4 times and dead only 2 so unless you deadlift jump is twice as high as squat it will lose ground on the squat. I started both at 135...probably a bad idea to start them at the same number, and it was pretty light to begin with, but Monday's squat was 185 and dead was 175, I think I'm going to jump to 205 on deads Friday to catch back up.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

I'm not sure if this is answered specifically in the books, but check out the SS forum. For example from an old thread:

http://****************.com/resource...ead.php?t=8423 (this thread is WFS, but the forum isn't)

"You are assuming that the DL and the squat started off at the same weight, and that would be incorrect. The deadlift for everyone I've ever trained is always about 1.5 to twice as strong as the squat at first, so the squat needs to catch up anyway." - Rip

"Remember that linear increases slow by 6 months or so for most people, and for essentially everybody in 9 months, so by the time linear increases for the squat have stopped and the deadlift has slowed too, the squat will have approached the deadlift. And most normally proportioned people that have no grip problems and train the deadlift effectively will always pull a little more than they squat without a suit and wraps." - Rip
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

I think I started my DL a little low, so I've added some extra to make it at least feel a bit challenging, and will now continue to progress much more slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Karnick View Post
practical programming really should be used for intermediates (meaning you have exhausted your linear progression). Why aren't you doing SS? .
I don't pretend to know much about this, but this is what the site says on the matter:

Quote:
Which Version Should I do?

This largely depends on how often you'd like to powerclean, deadlift and do pull-ups... You will gain extraordinary amounts of strength on any one of these fine programs.
I happen to be a big fan of pullups, that's about as far as my reasoning goes.

Last edited by Ryan Ragona; 04-07-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

well if I were u I'd switch to doing original SS and adding in pullups on friday, but that depends on what your goals are...and concerning the OP's issue, once your squat and dead get to around 250 the deadlifts should be incredibly more easy than the squats so give it some more time and it should sort itself out.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

There may be some confusion about the books here. Practical Programming is not a book only for intermediate lifters. The book covers program construction for Novices, Intermediates, Advanced and Elite levels and it includes programming examples for all levels.

The OP is fine with any of the versions of the novice program that meet his goals, including the novice program detailed in PP or the Onus Wunsler program in SS. If the OP is interested in continuing strength development into the Intermediate phase, PP will also offer another set of programming choices to meet his goals.

Last edited by Neil Bauersfeld; 04-08-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Karnick View Post
practical programming really should be used for intermediates (meaning you have exhausted your linear progression).
Practical Programming has novice programs as well.