CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Mac Oneill

Profile:
What was your first WOD!?

I'm supposed to show my friend CF today, and I'm not exactly sure what workout I should let her try. I don't want to scare her off, but I want to give her a good taste of what CF has to offer.

My first CF workout was a 10 minute Cindy. I was thinking about starting off with a little warm up, some skill work, making sure she has good squat mechanics, and then finishing up with a half Cindy (given she has decent pull-up strength).

So my question is, what workout do you think I should start her off with and what skills should I have her start to work on?

Also, I'm curious to hear what other people's first workout was and their experience with it.

BTW I couldn't find a similar thread when searching, so if you have the a link please post it.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: What was your first WOD!?

My first CrossFit WOD was Frelen after drilling squats for 3 hrs. NOT recommended to introduce anyone :-)
Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Jason Black

Profile:

My first wod was Murph...quite the intro to crossfit. A half cindy with skill work sounds reasonable to me
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Dan Morgan

Profile:

Fran, I did the first 21 thrusters and thought ***** this!! And gave up......I did it again a few weeks later and completed it in about 18 mins...

I think Cindy would be a good idea as a starter. If you have bands you could use them to help with the pullups.

Or something like Box jumps, wall balls, burpees. I would've thought if she's not very experienced with weights then it would be better to keep to BW stuff until she has her technique right.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

My first WOD (oct 5, 2007) was:

For time:
Run 400 meters
75 pound Powerclean, 50 reps
40 L Pull-ups
Run 400 meters
75 pound Powerclean, 40 reps
30 L Pull-ups
Run 400 meters
75 pound Powerclean, 30 reps
20 L Pull-ups
Run 400 meters

Don't recommend it

Trying to be manly, I attempted it as Rx'd. Got through the 1st round, though I gave up on L-pullups and went to deadhangs after about 10. Did not complete the 2nd round.

Recovered for several days, and then my next 3 were "JT", "Linda" and "Murph"

Helen or a 10-minute cindy or a scaled FGB (2 rounds or fewer excercises & lighter weight) are all good ones. Lots of options really.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Mine was a scaled Barbara at the globo. That's the first time my personal trainer used the word "CrossFit." I was hooked. However, I don't think Barbara is the "coolest" WOD...meaning, I find barbells really cool! But, Barbara certainly kicked my butt, even scaled. And, as a newbie, I wouldn't want to have someone do a WOD with barbells unless they already knew what to do with them. I like Dan's idea of box jumps, wall ball, or burpees...those are cool to me, ha.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:

My first CrossFit workout ever was Jackie. It's not a bad one for a new person to get the idea -- not too long, but definitely intense.

10 minute Cindy is good - just be careful of lots of pullups with new people. Can be a recipe for rhabdo.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Kevin Trangone

Profile:

My personal first was Fran, and my thruster technique was horrifying.

The one I introduced to my friends was The Chief.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Thanks for all the replies! I cant believe how much hell some of you people went through for your first WOD. It's almost amazing some of you stuck with it. lol

As for the workout, I met up with her and had her loosen up with some basketball. After about 10 minutes I had her show me her squat. I was surprised to find that her squat was very good. I spent a few minutes with her working on depth, but she had a very solid squat overall.

So, I took her into the weight room and had her show me a few push-ups, which were also good. Then I had her get on the "Gravatron" or whatever it's called (It's the pull-up machine that allows you to take weight off the persons body weight). We figured out a good setting pretty quickly and I told her to take a breather for a second. Then we started the WOD.

I had her do:
AMRAP in 10 minutes of...
3 Pull-ups
6 Push-ups
9 Squats

She started out doing very well with the first round complete in about 45 seconds. As the workout progressed her push up form was the first thing to suffer followed by a couple failed reps of pull-ups, but her squat form stayed strong and depth was good. She completed the 6th round almost exactly at the start of minute 6. At his point she started telling me how thirsty she was. I told her the water wouldnt make her feel any better and that she could get a drink when she was done. She did not like that at all. So she went to the drinking fountian got a drink came back and started to do push ups again. She quickly started to tell me that she didnt feel good, and I told her she shouldnt have gone to get that drink of water. She then told me that she needed to stop. I told her that she shouldnt be talking to me, the workout was almost over, and that she would feel better when she was done.

She quit at approximately the 7 minute 30 second mark. After she recovered I talked to her for a little while. She said she never gets that tired, but she liked the workout and thought it was amazing. She said she was going to go to the gym again tomorrow and try the workout again.

I dont know whether or not to call this one a victory yet, but I guess I will see if she continues to do CF WODS. I just wish she would have finished the workout....meh
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Mac,

Well sounds like you didn't completely scare her off! She seems hooked on that particular WOD at least, if you're going to the gym with her, I think you should offer her some skill work of some kind. Maybe grab PVC or a broomstick and work on the deadlift, or front squat, ohs. Then I would talk a little Crossfit 101 with her and stress the "Constantly Varied" aspect...that way you can try to get her to do a different workout than the one she just did. Maybe something with rounds.

Depending on where she's at the deadlift/burpee WOD might be good for her of course not at the weights or rounds used at the 2008 CF games. You could have her do that then explain that women who have been CF'ing for awhile did 5 rounds of that with 185# for the deadlift, then watch her eyes...