CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

View Poll Results: Do you do a "workout" in addition to the WOD
Yes (4-5 days per week) 8 21.05%
No, WODs are enough 9 23.68%
Sometimes (1-3 days per week) 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Chris Catto

Profile:
Do you do other "works" in addition to your WOD

If yes, what? I am trying to cut down but am not sure how much I should push.

Currently I am just doing the WODs but it seems that and hour or two after my WOD I feel like I have more to give. Should I be pushing more...running, biking, swimming, lifting (olympic)???

Last edited by Chris Catto; 05-26-2009 at 09:21 AM..
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Do you do other "works" in addition to your WOD

Go learn a sport. One of the crossfit tenants most seam to forget
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Hey Chris,

Is it OK if I show you what I do, it might give you some ideas....?

I'm kinda black boxing (if I can use that term) a system here. It's kind of a Buy-in / Cash-out on Crack.

From an SPP point PoV I feel one can ramp up certain goals quicker then just the standard WoD. No suprises here, WoD is GPP after all. And I guess is the basis of the Buy-In / Cash-Out methodology

So I do this.

I have chosen 10 core ME lifts*, I am working on building 5 of them at anyone time. The other 5 go into my WoD as a maintenance / slower growth thing. This is using the CF-SB system of an 8 week cycle.

I have chosen 9 core Stamina exercises**, I am working on building 4-5 of them at anyone time. The rest go into my WoD as a maintenance / slower growth thing as well. This is using a system developed by a San Diego CF, I ramp each area up to my choosen SPP goals and then flip it over to my WoD to maintain and tie into MetCon. If I think I have it right I can ramp each of my 9 areas up from an average fitness level to my SPP goal in about 8 wks. 16 wks total ramp-up. A couple might take longer, i.e. higher goals, slower growth area?

Crossfit probably has another 20 odd combinations and variations of these (Excluding Gymnastics) that also go into my WoD mix.

So I end up with a daily routine of:
AM
CF-SB
Maintenace WoD

PM
Muscular Stamina Focus
CF-E / SPP MetCon Training

Weekly
2-1-3-1

Its a heavy program, and does own me every day, but I'm not feeling any over-training yet...we'll see....I am staying vey disaplined with rest and nutrition.

What I THINK I'm doing here is ramping up SPP at a quicker pace to meet an SPP deadline but still maintaining / slowly building (relatively) MetCon and the all important tying together of MetCon and Movements thru what I call my 'Maintenance WoD'.

What amazes me is how very little one needs to workout just to maintain an already achieved high level of 'fitness'. It's great from a time pressure PoV.

Flexability is achieved thru 3 x Yoga / wk

Still a work in progess, but hope it gives you some ideas...?

Sean

*My 10 Core ME Lifts
1) Back Squat
2) Front Squat
3) Deadlift
4) Shoulder Press
5) Bench Press - still not sure on the need for this one
6) Dip Weighted
7) Pull-up Weighted
8) Overhead Squat
9) Snatch
10) Clean & Jerk

I have left out the Turkish Get-up and the High Pull, may still add them in - Pondering

**My 9 Core Stamina Exercises
1) Pull-ups
2) Sit-ups
3) Push-ups
4) Air Squats
5) Bench Dip
6) Back Extension
7) 30lbs Ammo Press
8) Flutter Kick
9) Grip Strength

I have left out the Turkish Get-up and the KB Swing, may still add them in - Pondering

I have also left out any Power Stamina stuff i.e. Box Jumps, Wall Ball, etc - still pondering

There is also a lack of gymnasyics here - Pondering

Last edited by Sean J Hunter; 05-26-2009 at 12:07 PM..
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

Each week I play old-guy hockey 5 days, lift weights 2/3 days, crossfit 2/3 days (alternate weeks). I don't know if this is ideal, but it's fun and I like the results.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Adam Carlson

Profile:

What is CF-SB and it's 8 week program, and what is SPP?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

CF-SB = Crossfit Strength Bias,

Essentially its the Standard Crossfir program with some extra heavy Maximum Effort lifts incorporated. You can purchase the Crossfit Journal and read up on the program. Just go to CFJ website and search for CFSB, it costs US$25 and you get access to all kinds of other info too.

SPP = Specific Physical Preparation
i.e. - for me it's the grip strength for Farmers Carry's and the Flutter Kicks for swimming, unless you needed strong grip stamina andd strong felxors for your job or sport, you wouldn't really bother much with these, i.e. their Specific not General (GPP)

HTH

Sean
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Harley Jennings

Profile:

I am in the boat with Sean,

My sport is learning new skills and improving my ME on all the slow lifts. If I have time and the energy I will work a skill or a ME after or before the WOD, depending on what it is.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Chris Catto

Profile:

Well I have to rank myself with the lucky few that have little or no problem getting stronger The downfall of my strength gaining ablitiles is that I have to eat SO lean (carbs/cals/fat) and train extra hard to see "fat loss" (caliper measured). I am not a small person by any stretch of the imagination (30/m/6'00"/235/18%bf).

Soooo I guess what I am saying is that I am not concerned about building muscle, that comes very easy. I am looking to cut my fat% (low teens/double digits please). My routine before I got into CF was a std weight lifting routine (5 days/wk, 1 body area per day, cardio (running) 3-4 days/wk, lift as heavy as my body would allow).

Now that I am doing CF I feel "wasted" at the end of a workout but in a hour or so feel like I have more to give. Should I get back to running/cardio after the WOD? Should I be pushing myself more in CF? I really don't know how I can push harder, I work myself past failure in my WOD's.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Yep, martial arts (Krav Maga and TaeKwonDo). I have found that my strength, endurance, and speed have all benefitted from the CF. I have only been CF'ing for about 1 month. My ability to jump higher and faster is really paying off in the sparring ring.

I will also start riding my bike to work next week, weather permitting. This will be @ 25 miles a day, the 1st 12 mi leg will be before my CF in the AM. If this turns out to be too much, I'll have to pare biking back to the weekends.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Catto View Post
Soooo I guess what I am saying is that I am not concerned about building muscle, that comes very easy. I am looking to cut my fat% (low teens/double digits please). My routine before I got into CF was a std weight lifting routine (5 days/wk, 1 body area per day, cardio (running) 3-4 days/wk, lift as heavy as my body would allow).

Now that I am doing CF I feel "wasted" at the end of a workout but in a hour or so feel like I have more to give. Should I get back to running/cardio after the WOD? Should I be pushing myself more in CF? I really don't know how I can push harder, I work myself past failure in my WOD's.
It's what you eat, and how much, that will determine if you cut fat %. It doesn't matter if you have the bext routine or not. If you want to lose weight, use your fork less, if you want to gain, use it more (props to MOD for this). Paleo food is the best IMO.

Like others have said, do a sport. Play a pick-up game with friends or random people at a park. Find a hobby: bike, climb, row, frisbee, parkour, etc. List goes on and on.