CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Jon Waterhouse

Profile:
Hanging a pull-up bar from trees

I am trying to set up a pullup bar in the back yard. I have two pine trees that are about 7 feet apart and 12-18 inches in diameter.

Does anyone a have a suggestion on how to attatch my bar (planning to use a 2.5 inch steel pipe) to the trees without damaging the trees? I don't want to nail or screw anything into the trees.

I solution to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Thomas Kelley

Profile:
Re: Hanging a pull-up bar from trees

My first thought is to set a rig up with webbing, like a climbing anchor. It's non-invasive, portable, and gives you a lot of flexibility depending on the dimensions of the trees. You can buy webbing cheap, and if you have some climbing buddies you can probably patch together enough from scraps that aren't safe enough for climbing but would be fine for this.

I just did a google search for "top rope anchor" and there's a bunch of hits with pictures, what you need is probably a bit less complicated because your life isn't dependent upon it.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
John Harris

Profile:

I've seen pull up bars attached with cables but that eventually harms the trees as they grow.

Climbing rope (rock climbing rope not crossfit climbing rope) should work well. The simplest way that I think will work is to make a double loop around the tree and just stick the bar through only one of them. The weight on the bar tightens the both loop around the tree.

Disclaimer: I have only tried this knot with a hammock on a smooth pole and it worked well but I wasn't kipping on it.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Try using webbing slings - they'll hold the weight well and can be taken down as needed. They'll be relatively cheap compared to any type of rigging system. I used them frequently when I was a tree climber. When you put weight on them they'll grip the tree without causing any real lasting damage to the bark.

I'm pretty sure if you look up arboricultural equipment on the web you'll find the right thing.

Hook a couple of karabiners through them and a couple of smaller loops to your bar and you should be set.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Whoa, 2.5 inch pipe? That's MASSIVE for a pullup bar. Hope your grip is beastly...

The only problem I see with any types of webbing/rope anchors is keeping the webbing/rope attached to the bar. I see two options:

1) Some kind of stop at the ends of the bar, just something with a larger diameter so that the rope won't slide off the ends of the bar. This would also allow you to use a shorter bar so that the ends of the bar aren't rubbing against the tree as you kip/swing (otherwise you'd have to have the anchor points perfectly above the bar).

2) Attach something to the ends of the bar that you can tie off to. I'm picturing some kind of threaded attachment with a metal ring so that you can string the rope or webbing through it.

Let me know if that makes any kind of sense...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
David Nittler

Profile:

Get thee to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a piece of 1" black pipe. It's gonna flex a bit over that span (not to mention the trees will give a bit, too).

2 1/2"!