CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Stu Montgomery

Profile:
Late Night Protein

I'm thinking about adding a Muscle Milk shake as a meal replacement at night about 2 or 3 hours before I go to sleep. I'm working out twice a day 3 to 4 days a week and I want to make sure my body is getting the energy it needs, but I don't want to gain fatness. Is this a good idea? Thanks
Old 07-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Late Night Protein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Montgomery View Post
I'm thinking about adding a Muscle Milk shake as a meal replacement at night about 2 or 3 hours before I go to sleep. I'm working out twice a day 3 to 4 days a week and I want to make sure my body is getting the energy it needs, but I don't want to gain fatness. Is this a good idea? Thanks
Why not real food?

Katherine
Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Stu Montgomery

Profile:

I would go for real food, but I'm usually not at my house, so options are limited. I figure I can take a protein shake with me. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Jesse Emers

Profile:

I regularly wake up in the middle of the night and have a protein shake. I don't get fat.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Montgomery View Post
I would go for real food, but I'm usually not at my house, so options are limited. I figure I can take a protein shake with me. Thanks for the reply though.
If you can take a protein shake, you can take jerky and some fruit. Just saying...

As far as your original question, the idea that eating before bed piles on fat is mostly a myth. At your activity level, you're more likely to cause yourself problems by not eating enough than eating too much.

Katherine
Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

I love my protein shake before bed, I've settled on the EAS Myoplex Deluxe after trying a few different ones. Typically I eat a full meal at 7PM, have my shake around 9-10PM, and am in bed around 11PM.

When I try to have one more meal at night (i.e. "real food"), I get a horrible night's sleep, where the protein shake made with milk helps me sleep better. Then I wake up and have a full breakfast in the morning, and I'm ready to go. I learned a long time ago that if I try to only eat real food, I just can't get enough KCals to keep pace with my energy use no matter how perfect I make and time my meals.

I'm still losing fat and gaining muscle with this plan. Hopefully it continues until I'm done losing fat (should be another month or two) and am ready to only gain muscle, but I may need to make an adjustment at that time. The adjustments I'll probably make are in fat intake during the day though, I probably wouldn't mess with my evening protein shake.

I'd have to imagine there's just about as many plans and reactions to this type of thing as there are people training/eating/resting every day, this is what I've found works best for me so far.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Thomas Green

Profile:

Casein or any slow release protein.