CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Ryan Ridley

Profile:
Ryan's Workout Journal

So I've been roaming the site for a long time, but this is my first post. I'm starting a new program tomorrow based on what I could remember of Ripptoe's novice program as laid out in Practical Programming, and Tim Donahey's thread 'A Compendium of Mark Rippetoe's Novice/Intermediate Program Templates' helped out my memory a lot. I figured a good place to start posting would be with a journal, so I will try to post my progress at least 2-3 times a week. On top of this program I will be starting BJJ on Monday. I'm a little nervous about that one, as I've never really rolled with a gi before

Stats:
Height: 5'10"(178 cm)
Weight: 162 lbs (73.5 kg)
1 Rep Max:
Squat: 215 lbs (97.5 kg)
Bench: 205 lbs (93 kg) *Estimated*
Shoulder Press: 95 lbs (43 kg) 75 lbs (34 kg) for 5rm Needs a lot of work!
Thruster: 160 lbs (72.5 kg)
Deadlift: 305 lbs (138.5 kg)
Weighted Pullup: +77 lbs (35 kg)

I'm going to go on this for 6 weeks, and at the end I'm going to do a total. After that, we'll see. If I'm not stalling too badly I'll stay on it, but if I am I will probably get back to CF for a month or so. Not sure if I'm going to do the 1 gallon a day thing or not. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money, as a college student I'm not exactly rich, but I'll probably end up doing it in the end. Here's the program.

Week 1

Day 1:
Squat: 3x5
Bench press: 3x5
Weighted Chin-ups: 3 sets, failure around 5-7 reps

Day 2
Front squats: 3x5
Shoulder Press: 3x5
Deadlift: 1x5

Day 3
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure

Week 2

Day 1
Front Squat: 3x5
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure

Day 2
Power clean: 5x3

Day 3
Front Squat: 3x5
Weighted Pull-ups: 3 sets, failure around 5-7 reps

And so on for 6 weeks. I mixed up the front squats with the squats because front squats occur so often in crossfit that I want to make sure and strengthen it up as much as possible. I'll start tomorrow, so day 1 on Sunday, Monday will be a rest day, day 2 on Tuesday, rest on Wednesday, day 3 on Thursday, rest Friday, and will probably be doing a group CF workout on Saturdays, depending on how I feel. Not sure about that though, as I will probably be wiped from this and BJJ. I'm am going to try and be very careful not to over train, so I'll start with a pretty low weight. Squat weight will start at 165 lbs, Bench at 150 lbs, Shoulder Press at 65lbs, and Front Squat at 135. No idea what to start the weighted pullups/chins at, I'll have to toy with it.

K, well, I'm off to bed.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Eric Lester

Profile:
Re: Ryan's Workout Journal

Awesome, look forward to watching your progress.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Ryan Ridley

Profile:

Ryan
21/m/162

CFWU

Squat: 160 lbs 3x5
Bench Press: 155 lbs 3x5
Weighted chins: +1 pood 3x5

It felt pretty good today. I started pretty light since I haven't strength trained in a long time, but then again starting light is part of the idea of Practical Programing. The bench especially felt really good, if light. 1 pood was pushing it for the chins. I was using a pretty narrow grip, a la Rip's advice. Upon reflection I've decided to only go with weighted chins and pull-ups, since I can do plenty of unweighted pull-ups and this is after all a strength training program. On that same note, I'm going to shoot for 3-5 reps per set, and I'll move up on weight when I can get 5 reps across.

Also, I think I'm going to incorporate muscle-ups and handstand practice in my warmups. I'm really wanting to cultivate some skills. I've got a half way decent muscle-up right now, but I want to tighten it up as much as possible so that I can finally finish the 30 muscle-up WOD.

BJJ is tomorrow. Hope things go well. It's been a few months since I last rolled, so I'll probably suck it up for a while, but hell, that's how you learn.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
Ryan Ridley

Profile:

So BJJ went pretty well. We went over triangle to armbar drills, elbow escape drills, different ways to pass guard, omoplata drills, and a few combination drills. Wish they would have let me roll at the end, but oh well. Everything was fun up until one of the instructors blew out their knee. As I am typing this I have no idea how he is. Most of the people in the gym were standing around him and whatnot, I figured the best thing I could do for him right now was to stay out of the way and just let everyone else do their thing, the place was crowded and class was over anyway. I'm going to ask around tomorrow to see how he is. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, but there was a loud pop that quite a few people in the gym could hear despite the noise.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Ryan Ridley

Profile:

m/164/21

3 rounds of 10 ring dips, 15 pullups, 20 squats for a warmup, with some knees to elbows thrown in.

Front Squats: 140# 3x5
Shoulder Press: 85# 1x5 90lbs 3x5
Deadlift: 255# 2x5

Played with Muscle Ups and Ring Pushups. Did around 10 muscle ups. Would have done more, but the rings I was using were slippery and my false grip kept slipping in the middle of the pull. Some tape on the rings should fix it, but I didn't have the tape at the time. No idea how many ring pushups I did.

Everything felt great, though the front squats were harder than I thought they would be. But what really felt good was the shoulder press. I felt like I could have pulled off 100 3x5.

Should have gone to BJJ too, but I was just too wiped and needed to do the laundry
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Eric Lester

Profile:

Have you ever done Turkish Get Up situps? I think they would really help speed and strength do 3 sets of 10 (each side) with 25# DB, or 3 sets of 5 per side with a 35#DB.

http://www.performancemenu.com/resou...rkishGetup.mov
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #7
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lester View Post
Have you ever done Turkish Get Up situps? I think they would really help speed and strength do 3 sets of 10 (each side) with 25# DB, or 3 sets of 5 per side with a 35#DB.

http://www.performancemenu.com/resou...rkishGetup.mov
I meant speed and strength in Jiu Jitsu escapes and I meant those are the weights I use, not necessarily what you should use. I must have been typing blind.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Ryan Ridley

Profile:

Yesterday:
m/21/166

Row 500m: 1:48
CFWU

Squat: 160 lbs 3x5
Bench Press: 165 lbs 3x5
Weighted Pull-up: +38.5 lbs 3x5

Threw in some ring dips and ring pushups for fun. Practiced jumping rope between sets. I'm really wanting to get better at that so that I can start trying to do double unders. Played with muscle-ups, but only did 2-3.

Eric: I've never tried the turkish getup, though I've been meaning to for awhile. I may add that in next workout, maybe as part of a warmup or something.

I did the same weight again on the squat cause I felt a little weak on that one today. I'll move up next workout. Went ahead and moved up 10 lbs on the Bench and it still felt fairly easy. I felt like I could have done 3x7 or 8. The weighted pull-ups honestly could not have felt better, and I am gonna be at +40 lbs next.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Ryan Ridley

Profile:

Today:
m/21/166

Very light warmup consisting of a few pull-ups, about 10-15 situps on the glute-ham, and a few pushups and muscle-ups.

The "300" Workout

25 Pull-ups
50 135# Deadlifts
50 Pushups
50 24" Box Jumps
50 135# Floor Wipers
50 1 pood Clean & Jerks
25 Pull-ups

Time: 32:02 as rx'd

Bad, but hell, I'll take it. The box jumps and wipers are what slowed me down the most. My chest was just screaming, but I finally got them. I had never done floor wipers before. When I get done with the starting strength I'm going to start putting those in there more often, I like them quite a bit. At least my pull-ups, deadlifts, and pushups went pretty well. IBefore the workout I thought the deadlifts were going to be my worst, but they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Still damn hard though.

I've got to go to my grandmother's funeral tomorrow and the next day, so I don't know if I'll be doing starting strength for a few days. I may just do metcon workouts with a few friends back home if they're up for it. I can always catch up later.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Eric Lester

Profile:

Here is the workout as prescribed from yesterday if you want to post it in here.

* Muscle snatch + snatch balance - 2(1 + 1) x 5 - heaviest you can manage
* Power clean + jerk - work up to heaviest for the day; drop 15% for 2 more singles

4 rounds for time of:
10 jumping sit-ups
12 dumbbell push press 20% BW
15 sandbag zercher cleans 35% BW