CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
eleanor ralls

Profile:
Osteoporosis

Has anyone ever worked with a person who has been diagnosed with osteoporosis? I know weight training is helpful but the websites I have found say you should not run. I had started running every day and was able to do a 5K - not the best but I did it! But after being told I had osteoporosis I have tried to find exercises that will help - I cannot take the medicine - I go to the gym every day - couldn't get much information on what type of training I should do that would help - they just said weight bearing exercises so I joined a gym then found out free weights are better than what I am doing, but I'm committed to this one for a few more months - just wondering if anyone with this disease still runs or found it helps - but maybe I just wont be able to do that any more. Be good to know if anyone with this disease has a routine that helped. Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated - trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Leah Thompson

Profile:
Re: Osteoporosis

I don't have full-blown osteoporosis but I do have osteopenia (basically mild version) even though I'm only in my mid thirties. In my case, gaining a little weight helped. I still run and lift weights. I can't take the medicine either. I do take vitamin D and try to get lots of calcium. I guess I would recommend that you ask your doctor if it's okay though. I have my doctor's support to exercise and he knows what and how much I do.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Will Seavey

Profile:

Elanor, is there a specific area/joint that you have osteoporosis? What about the medications caused you difficulty? The bisphosphanates and some other types of meds reduce the number of fractures and can help build up the bones. Make sure you are taking 1000 IU of vitamin D and 1200 mg calcium (don't exceed 2500 mg).

I think crossfit type exercises are generally very good, I would want to be careful on high joint impact exercises. Since your doctor knows you the best I would definitely make an appointment dedicated to this 1 topic so you have enough time to discuss it.

I would make sure that you have the best form you can, start with low weight, and have excellent balance through all the exercises. Check into mobility WODs that focus on posture, adjusting your posture might make a big difference. Mobility WOD in general would probably be particularly helpful for you.

Some exercises I would be cautious with box jumps. Running if you tend to be a heel planter could probably modify to a mid foot that might reduce the impact or just doing a light jog during these parts of the WOD.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
eleanor ralls

Profile:

Will,

Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful. My osteoporosis is in the spine lumbar area - I have osteopenia in hips. The thing I was surprised about was that I have been taking Vitamin D 50,000 IUs for several years for kidney stones and felt like it would have helped. I tried Fosamax (a bisphosphonate) and after three weeks felt like I had been run over by a truck. Every bone and joint hurt. Cleared up when I stopped taking it. I do appreciate your info, it helps me get an idea of where to start.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Adam Spang

Profile:

Everyone's osteoporosis is different. I am a 26yr old male, 6'0", 205lbs, been crossfitting for over 2 1/2 years, and you'd never know it but I have full blown osteoporosis. I've had it all my life, and there is no rhyme or reason why, it's just what God gave me.

Crossfit, extra vitamin D and calcium supplements have DRAMATICALLY increased my bone density measurements. The functional lifts we do in crossfit puts the appropriate stress on the skeleton that makes bones stronger, and the extra muscle that I have packed on also helps protect them.

Now, I do not have pain or anything from these movements, I'm just more prone to bone-related injuries (I once cracked a rib doing super intense (and drunk) burpees...) So like all injuries, take it on a case by case basis, but I would say strength work is definitely beneficial.