CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Marcus Thompson

Profile:
Gastric Band Surgery

There seems to be an epidemic starting where I work. At lest three overweight women in my group and/or spouses of people I work with has had or is getting this gastric band surgery.

I just don't get it. Everyone is looking for some magic pill or surgery to fix their weight problem. Has the phrase eat a proper diet and get plenty of exercise been stricken from a doctors vocabulary? Why don’t they just say:

“You know Mrs. Smith, people who smoke methamphetamine are real skinny. You should try some of that!”

Or

“Mrs. Smith. I’m writing you a prescription for crack cocaine. When you go out of the building turn left into the alley and a guy named Rocco will fill this for you. You’ll see that weight melt off in no time!”

I think it boils down to the fact that doctors and pharmaceutical companies can’t make money off of you when you’re healthy and fit. A gastric ring in your stomach at $26,000.00 a pop seems much more appealing to doctors than having their patients eat right and exercise.

They are promoting a risky and unhealthy alternative because it’s in their best financial interest.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Daniel Dean

Profile:
Re: Gastric Band Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Thompson View Post

“You know Mrs. Smith, people who smoke methamphetamine are real skinny. You should try some of that!”
They also lose their teeth, so it's doubly effective
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Thompson View Post
There seems to be an epidemic starting where I work. At lest three overweight women in my group and/or spouses of people I work with has had or is getting this gastric band surgery.

I just don't get it. Everyone is looking for some magic pill or surgery to fix their weight problem. Has the phrase eat a proper diet and get plenty of exercise been stricken from a doctors vocabulary? Why don’t they just say:

Or

“Mrs. Smith. I’m writing you a prescription for crack cocaine. When you go out of the building turn left into the alley and a guy named Rocco will fill this for you. You’ll see that weight melt off in no time!”

I think it boils down to the fact that doctors and pharmaceutical companies can’t make money off of you when you’re healthy and fit. A gastric ring in your stomach at $26,000.00 a pop seems much more appealing to doctors than having their patients eat right and exercise.

They are promoting a risky and unhealthy alternative because it’s in their best financial interest.
I'm not going to seriously disagree with you, but, how much high intensity exercise are these obese ladies going to do? Generally, docs go for this after "dieting and exercise" have failed miserably. The health consequences of being obese are pretty high too, maybe higher than the risks of the surgery.

OTOH, these surgeries don't always keep the weight off and sure do nothing to address to the psychological conditions that ofter (always IME) accompany that level of obesity. Exercise at least addresses that in a sideways fashion.

Meth works. dexatrim used to be a meth derivative. I honestly never found anything more useful than ACE. and gained 30 lbs after the FDA banned ma huang.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Corey Franklin

Profile:

I have crossed paths with a former co- worker twice over the past few years.
He had bypass surgery a few years ago and The first time I saw him he had shed 70 or so pounds and looked great.
I just ran into him a few weeks ago and he had put the 70 pounds back on plus a few more.
He mentioned thinking about having the bypass a second time
I tried to tell him about eating clean and crossfit, he liked the surgery route better.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Franklin View Post
I have crossed paths with a former co- worker twice over the past few years.
He had bypass surgery a few years ago and The first time I saw him he had shed 70 or so pounds and looked great.
I just ran into him a few weeks ago and he had put the 70 pounds back on plus a few more.
He mentioned thinking about having the bypass a second time
I tried to tell him about eating clean and crossfit, he liked the surgery route better.

Sad but true. Hard to believe people are willing to go through the risks of surgery when they could get the same result by putting the fork down. Not rocket science, but that's the American way apparently. Ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

When I went in for my UP3 surgery, I was concerned that 75% of the people that had the surgery redeveloped the symptoms a year later. The doctor said, and this was confirmed in the literature, that the cause were patients staying at a high weight (body fat actually).
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Ben Schill

Profile:

I'm usually quite out of the loop on TV, but on a REALLY slow day recently, "The Biggest Loser: Couples" was on TV. There was a father/son duo on there, and the Dad had already had this gastric surgery. On the show, the dude said, "My stomach is the size of an egg" - and he weighed over 450lbs if I recall.

My thoughts on this type of non-cure cure for the obese: Your eating disorder (overeating) cannot be cured with any surgery or any diet or any exercise regimen. Overfat people need to change inside their brains first. It's the same thing for the "sexy" eating disorders like anorexia or bulemia - there's no surgery for that (although doctors have made a ton prescribing powerful mood-lifting drugs, I'm sure). You just have to get your head out of your rear end, deal with your addiction/disease/self-centeredness/self-loathing/daddy/mommy/kid/cat/dog/self-esteem issues, eat a sandwich, and have a good time.

BTW: I had 28lbs of excess fat on me prior to CrossFit, so I've walked this road for my part. I'm very thankful for my solid athletic background and that CrossFit happened at the right time for me. I consider myself of the Pat Sherwood-type (if I may be so bold). To paraphrase him: "Chuck Carswell is somewhere gaining five pounds of lean body mass right now while Adrian Bozeman is losing five pounds due to his metabolism. I'm in between those two, just sitting here trying not to slip into obesity."

Last edited by Ben Schill : 01-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
J M M

Profile:

On a small sidenote, on an approx 2 mile stretch of freeway near my home, there is 6 signs for lap band surgery (605fwy N of 10fwy) and near my work there is another group of more. (5fwy near the 710fwy)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Marcus Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Schill View Post
I'm usually quite out of the loop on TV, but on a REALLY slow day recently, "The Biggest Loser: Couples" was on TV. There was a father/son duo on there, and the Dad had already had this gastric surgery. On the show, the dude said, "My stomach is the size of an egg" - and he weighed over 450lbs if I recall.

My thoughts on this type of non-cure cure for the obese: Your eating disorder (overeating) cannot be cured with any surgery or any diet or any exercise regimen. Overfat people need to change inside their brains first. It's the same thing for the "sexy" eating disorders like anorexia or bulemia - there's no surgery for that (although doctors have made a ton prescribing powerful mood-lifting drugs, I'm sure). You just have to get your head out of your rear end, deal with your addiction/disease/self-centeredness/self-loathing/daddy/mommy/kid/cat/dog/self-esteem issues, eat a sandwich, and have a good time.

BTW: I had 28lbs of excess fat on me prior to CrossFit, so I've walked this road for my part. I'm very thankful for my solid athletic background and that CrossFit happened at the right time for me. I consider myself of the Pat Sherwood-type (if I may be so bold). To paraphrase him: "Chuck Carswell is somewhere gaining five pounds of lean body mass right now while Adrian Bozeman is losing five pounds due to his metabolism. I'm in between those two, just sitting here trying not to slip into obesity."
I too came into CF with 33% body fat. I currently weigh only 5#’s less now but I have traded fat for muscle.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Schill View Post

30 lbs of overweight isn't the same as 200. I agree with dealing with your addiction etcbut the facile way your talking about it encourages me to believe you are not walking the same road as compulsive overeaters or any other addict.