CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Dave Taylor

Profile:
Military Not for Profit

I have been talking to someone else and we are looking at opening a Not for Profit at fort hood, TX
I know there are some other Not for Profits at military posts around. ie. Fort Benning, Quantico, and Pendleton, and I was wondering how your guys started them up,

Where did your equipment come from, military sponsorship or use the gyms on post or what?

How did you get your trainers certified?
I am getting my unit to pay for my cert; I go to Pendleton in Dec for the one 0there.

Who paid for the affiliate fee to Crossfit HQ?

Was there any sort of backlash, resistance on post?

How do you work hours, deployments, field training, and normal military operation issues?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Donald Clarkson

Profile:
Re: Military Not for Profit

Dave,

Just sent you a pm.

Don
Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:
Re: Military Not for Profit

Just my 2 cents ( I have 17 yrs active duty right now).

-start small with a time/location posted (for example wed's @ 7am)
-get feedback from that group.
-Have a sigh in roster with name, unit, email.
-have an email contact list

For exmample we started with a Co PT every Wed at 7am. We do it at the unit in a high vis area. each week people from other companies would watch, ask, and eventually join in.

Now we run 4 morning sessions/week. Friday mornings is our Compan Modern Army Combatives Training. But now a good portion of the poeple who do PT with us show up for that too.

The mix of people is great. Bn CSM, BN XO, 2 chaplains, Civilian employees from Womack Army Hospital. The unexpected thing about that is a good portion of those people have some type of gear to bring. KB's, Sledge's, Power bands, ect. The workouts build themselves basically.

We are making most equipment. Sleds, sloshpipes, etc. Tires should never be an issue to find on any post so get lots of those. Being on Ft. Bragg it's always good to get in good with mechanics, riggers, etc.

We are going to start a Donation Jar. Once the jar fills up the group will decide which equipment to get for future use. We even took 1/2 our conference room and turned it into a workout area. Put in my airdynes, Battling Ropes, KB's ect to use as another place to train.

The email contact list works great. everyone who's on it has the chance to pass it to a friend and so on.

IMHO this is how you build your case for future certs, equipment, etc. We take pics, soon to be vids, sign in rosters, and contact lists. Documentaion and proof goes a long ways in justification in supporting your cause.

oh and testimonials. we have people who swore they'd never do this stuff getting great results. So we have them document that too.

Hope some of this info helps