CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
Gareth Doyle

Profile:
Shoulder pain.

For about 4 days I've been having a throbbing pain on the outside of my shoulder, but it definitely feels more muscular than anything (if I had to guess, that is). The reason I say that is because if I press lightly into the throbbing area it feels like any other sore muscle would.

I have weak arms/shoulder in the first place and I've been hitting shoulders fairly heavy in the last week and a half or so (lots of pullups, wallballs, thrusters and some snatches) and I personally think they're just fatigued and not recovered fully.

The pain was almost completely gone today after waking up so when I hit the gym a few hours later I decided I would do some deadlifts. After about 80 deadlifts my shoulders are once again killing me and absolutely throbbing... I'm fine dealing with pain, I just wanted to ask here if anyone thought there was a reasonable risk of something more serious than some sore muscles.

I know you aren't doctors, and even those of you who may be couldn't give an accurate diagnoses based on what I've told you; I'm really just asking for opinions though.

Thanks, y'all.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Shoulder pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Doyle View Post
For about 4 days I've been having a throbbing pain on the outside of my shoulder, but it definitely feels more muscular than anything (if I had to guess, that is). The reason I say that is because if I press lightly into the throbbing area it feels like any other sore muscle would.

I have weak arms/shoulder in the first place and I've been hitting shoulders fairly heavy in the last week and a half or so (lots of pullups, wallballs, thrusters and some snatches) and I personally think they're just fatigued and not recovered fully.

The pain was almost completely gone today after waking up so when I hit the gym a few hours later I decided I would do some deadlifts. After about 80 deadlifts my shoulders are once again killing me and absolutely throbbing... I'm fine dealing with pain, I just wanted to ask here if anyone thought there was a reasonable risk of something more serious than some sore muscles.

I know you aren't doctors, and even those of you who may be couldn't give an accurate diagnoses based on what I've told you; I'm really just asking for opinions though.

Thanks, y'all.
Why would you even do this? From your own mouth...."I have fair week arms/shoulder? Why not scale whatever it was you were doing, and work on improving that, than throwing in everything, even difficult movements in a short span of time, and not give yourself time to recover?

Then top it off with EIGHTY deadlifts because you felt "almost better" for a day?

And why are you "OK dealing with the pain"? Wouldn't a better idea be to correct the issues and not have to deal with it? I promise you, long term you would be much better off.

Just think before you do something....that should have kept you from some of this trouble to begin with.

And, some people on here are doctors; some just play one on the internet. Regardless, you've got issues that should be checked by a competent one, familiar with what you're trying to accomplish.
Not just guesses from the gallery, myself included.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Gareth Doyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Why would you even do this? From your own mouth...."I have fair week arms/shoulder? Why not scale whatever it was you were doing, and work on improving that, than throwing in everything, even difficult movements in a short span of time, and not give yourself time to recover?

Then top it off with EIGHTY deadlifts because you felt "almost better" for a day?

And why are you "OK dealing with the pain"? Wouldn't a better idea be to correct the issues and not have to deal with it? I promise you, long term you would be much better off.

Just think before you do something....that should have kept you from some of this trouble to begin with.

And, some people on here are doctors; some just play one on the internet. Regardless, you've got issues that should be checked by a competent one, familiar with what you're trying to accomplish.
Not just guesses from the gallery, myself included.
You're absolutely right, I haven't been treating it properly. I'm impatient and need to slow it down, "I want progress and I want it now." Sorry, horrible joke.

With regard to the deadlifts, most of them were at really light weights as more of a warm up than anything. I did 21 reps at 95, 21 at 115, and 15 reps at 135. The highest weight I used was 225, so I wasn't exactly tearing my arm out of the socket, although I do understand your point and agree with you.

I have been scaling though. I didn't mean to sound like I'm just dumping massive weights and reps on my shoulders. Reps yes, but not so much weights.

I appreciate your response though and completely get where you are coming from... And even though I "already knew it" I probably needed to hear it put like that.

I'm currently in Korea and don't have access to an actual CrossFit Box, but next month I'll be in the US for a month and I'll be joining a Box for that month until I can rejoin when go back there permanently. So I'll have someone else to keep me in line when I need it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Doyle View Post
You're absolutely right, I haven't been treating it properly. I'm impatient and need to slow it down, "I want progress and I want it now." Sorry, horrible joke.

With regard to the deadlifts, most of them were at really light weights as more of a warm up than anything. I did 21 reps at 95, 21 at 115, and 15 reps at 135. The highest weight I used was 225, so I wasn't exactly tearing my arm out of the socket, although I do understand your point and agree with you.

I have been scaling though. I didn't mean to sound like I'm just dumping massive weights and reps on my shoulders. Reps yes, but not so much weights.

I appreciate your response though and completely get where you are coming from... And even though I "already knew it" I probably needed to hear it put like that.

I'm currently in Korea and don't have access to an actual CrossFit Box, but next month I'll be in the US for a month and I'll be joining a Box for that month until I can rejoin when go back there permanently. So I'll have someone else to keep me in line when I need it.

Thanks again.

It's not really about the weight...as you see now. In our office we use DL and KBS as shoulder rehab(as well as many other injuries) when performed correctly.
Your shoulder stabilizers will tell you that 80 reps regardless of the weight is too much at this time for you.

I post how I talk to people in the office. Most appreciate the "take no $****" approach, while others prefer to be coddled and told they can do no wrong despite the obvious.

Don't sacrifice short term gains for long term injury. I know, easier said then done.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Gareth Doyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
It's not really about the weight...as you see now. In our office we use DL and KBS as shoulder rehab(as well as many other injuries) when performed correctly.
Your shoulder stabilizers will tell you that 80 reps regardless of the weight is too much at this time for you.

I post how I talk to people in the office. Most appreciate the "take no $****" approach, while others prefer to be coddled and told they can do no wrong despite the obvious.

Don't sacrifice short term gains for long term injury. I know, easier said then done.
I much prefer that approach as well, so thank you for taking it. I suspect the people who prefer the coddled approach wouldn't take good advice if they heard it anyway.

I knew the reps would put strain on my shoulders, but I didn't think it would strain them much with the lower weights I was using. What you said makes perfect sense though, and you're right, listening to my body is my best move.

Thanks again.