CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
James Pond

Profile:
Re: Proper Body Weight Gain?

No ****?! Never thought about throwing olive oil in a shake lol. That's a good idea. I will check out the bodybuilder bulking stuff though for sure!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Try to keep things balanced. The Zone % of 30%p, 30%f and 40%c is a good place to start. Try to hit close to that macro break down while in your 3,500 to 4,000 calorie target range.

What you will find is you will eat generally larger meals and snacks.

Lift in a hypertrophy range 3 sets of 8-12 reps to near failure.

Squat often.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
James Pond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Try to keep things balanced. The Zone % of 30%p, 30%f and 40%c is a good place to start. Try to hit close to that macro break down while in your 3,500 to 4,000 calorie target range.

What you will find is you will eat generally larger meals and snacks.

Lift in a hypertrophy range 3 sets of 8-12 reps to near failure.

Squat often.
I have seen a few people talking about zones and whatnot. How do you control your percentages without going under or coming up short? I thought counting calories was crazy, but now I look at EVERY label on my food. What are some tips to keep your percentages good...what kind of foods do you like to eat daily?
Old 12-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
James Pond

Profile:

I found a macro calculator...does anyone think this looks about right? This is new for me so I'm not too sure if this is good, not enough, or way too much... Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	13912  
Old 12-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
James Pond

Profile:

Actually this one seems more accurate..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 12-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Percentages are pointless. Eat at least your body weight in g of protein (that is really more than you need for bulking) and other than that eat as much or as little carbs/fats as works for you (obviously you need certain fats but that is only a concern on very low fat diets, not bulking). You will hit your protein target if you are eating enough so really you just need to monitor calories. When you cut, that is when your macro distribution is more important because you are trying to lose as much fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. When you bulk you are trying to add muscle and minimize fat. That is all done via caloric intake. This assumes you have enough protein which you should if you have enough calories in general.

If you really want to know more go to bodyrecomposition.com (wfs) and read all you can handle.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #17
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pond View Post
I have seen a few people talking about zones and whatnot. How do you control your percentages without going under or coming up short? I thought counting calories was crazy, but now I look at EVERY label on my food. What are some tips to keep your percentages good...what kind of foods do you like to eat daily?
You don't when your goal is gaining weight. You try to get reasonably close on a regular basis. Hopefully you are fairly close when you look at you weekly averages. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to hit exact macro numbers.

I believe counting calories is very helpful for someone like you so you eat enough. It identifies under eating. It can be hard work to eat more then you like.

You will learn fairly quickly what foods provide what type of calories. Just read the labels, use a little portion scale and try to get close to your macros.

For example I eat 3 eggs, 2oz low fat cheese, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/3 tbs coconut oil and my fish oil for breakfast most mornings. 807 cals 56g c (28%), 44g f (50%), 44g p (22%). This tends to be my highest fat meal of the day. Rest of the day focus on protein and healthy carbs. Once in a while I need some fat at the end of the day if I had lean protein sources but usually it works out. Personally I feel better with more fat in the AM. Helps keep energy stable and to feel full.

I know this because I experimented and found what works best for me personally. Body fat 16% is probably 15-17%, I have been able to recover from a lot of heavy lifting and am setting PR's.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #18
David Meverden

Profile:

Yeah, I agree with others: don't obsess about macros. Especially if you're trying to gain weight, just hit your protein goal and then if you're eating a varied diet the carb and fat levels will probably be fine. If you're trying to cut then a more specific plan can be helpful.

Regarding milk: Yes, Gallon Of whole Milk A Day (GOMAD) is a real tactic; it is best for skinny young men who are on a heavy lifting plan (most often associated with the Starting Strength Novice Routine). You meet the skinny part, but maybe not the others. I did it for 2 months and it's a great way to put on weight. I was doing 5000 kcal a day at the time. The milk is 2400 kcal a day by itself. I have plenty more info on my experience with this if you want it.

Milk works well for the following reasons:
  • On a per calorie basis it is fairly inexpensive compared to most other quality muscle gain foods.
  • Diets with higher fat content, and saturated fat in particular, are associated with higher testosterone levels. Some coaches attest that that milk gets better results than an equivalent number of calories from other foods. If true, this might be related to hormone levels and saturated fat intake.
  • Additional calories in liquid form go down more easily than solid food, especially when you aren't hungry at all or are down right sick of eating (same reason mass gainer shakes have an enduring popularity).

So, should you up your milk intake? It's an easy way to supplement calories. For you 1/4 to 1/2 gallon on top of regular eating could be a way to get the calories you want to gain weight, but if you gained 10 lbs in 6 weeks then it seems like you've already figured out how to eat enough food.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #19
James Pond

Profile:

Thank you everyone for your input! I'm learning A LOT! For now I will just focus on hitting my daily calorie intake, and make sure I'm getting my protein ~165g/day. David I actually used to drink barely any milk, maybe a glass a week. I have recently started drinking more milk the last couple of weeks. I drink it with all my protein shakes everyday now with a minimum of 24-36 ounces a day total. It does get hard sometimes hitting my calorie goal just because I feel SO full lol. The liquids definitely help get the extra calories on everyday. I also drink tons of water every day (~3/4-1 gallon) on top of the other liquids. I recently started taking creatine (Creactor by Muscletech to be specific) on top of everything as well. I have been taking 4 grams a day, and so far this first week I have gained another 5 pounds on top of my regular diet And exercise. I have seen a lot of gains really fast actually. I actually have a pair of pants that don't fit well at ore just because they're so right on my legs lol.

Right now an average day for me consists:
Breakfast... A bagel and cream cheese, protein shake/creatine, and multivitamin.
Snack: Pb and J, cliff bar or a "complete cookie", peanuts, banana or an apple.
Lunch: either leftovers from dinner or another Pb and J or tuna sandwich, peanuts, carrots.
Snack: maybe some peanuts, a banana...
*GYM*
Immediately after: Protein shake/creatine
Dinner: whatever the wifey makes which is usually a fairly paleo type meal (she's on a paleo diet)

Breakfast time is hard for me to slam calories just because I wake up at 430 everyday and make my meals for the work day. So, time is slim in the morning for me. I need something thats high in calories and I can eat on the morning commute, that's my struggle. I have gotten sick of eating hard boiled eggs and pb-j's are getting hard to get down, and I used to eat oatmeal everyday but I got so sick of it I could barely eat it anymore. New meals are more than welcome. I think I'm going to sway away from the GOMAD thing for now though.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #20
Chris Mason

Profile:

Based on your written diet a really easy way to up your cals would be to actually eat breakfast. A bagel and protein shake is not breakfast. I sell supplements, so I don't say this lightly, but dump the protein shake and have some real food. Have some bacon and eggs along with toast with lots of real butter. Go for a hearty breakfast with at least 800 cals and keep everything else the same and you will be fine.

Don't get too worried about protein intake. If you are consuming 4k cals per day you are getting plenty of protein.